New York State Licensure Requirments

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSPD92

Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how many years of experience you need to qualify to take the licensure exam in Upstate New York? I'm currently working in New Jersey, and its 5 years experience here, I cant seem to find any information on New York State. If anyone has any info let me know I would appreciate it. Thanks

bphgravity

Re: New York State Licensure Requirments

I think you need to go to the individual building department or town official in the specific area you wish to work. In the town my dad lives in upstate NY, a screwdriver and a pair of pliers are all you need to perform electrical work.

bill addiss

For what it's worth, 5 years of experience are needed to qualify on Long Island.

Bill

peter d

I echo the comments made above. New York State runs the gamut from 5-10 years experience required (NYC) to nothing as Bryan said. Contact the area in which you wish to work.

FWIW, when I visited rural western and northeastern New York recently I got the impression that there are no licenses or code enforcement whatsoever in those areas. There are also no industry or jobs left either. :(

True story: Was told about an "inspector" in a NYS rural area who was impressed because he saw #12 wrapped around the screws of a duplex receptacle. :roll:

[ July 08, 2005, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: peter d ]

JSPD92

Thanks. Ive been doing some reasearch and im getting the impression that its 5 years. Im in the syracuse area, so its not to rural, but I also know that areas like NYC have different standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.