New Requirements for Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I think I read about this in ECM a while back.

The new UL and CSA requirements include:

* End of Life Provision: when a GFCI receptacle is incapable of passing its internal test function (it can no longer provide ground fault protection) it will either a) render itself incapable of delivering power, or b) indicate by visual or audible means that the device must be replaced.
* Reverse Line-Load Miswire: a GFCI will deny power to the receptacle face if it is miswired.
It sounds as though it may be more expensive, but far superior in terms of protecting all us folks that don't test their GFCI's once a month as prescribed.

Provided the new fail-safe is truly fail-safe in the long run. ;)

bphgravity

I don't like the end of life "option". I am willing to bet most if not all manufacturers will go with the "b" allowance instead of the "a" option. This just means there will be a whole bunch of malfunctioning gfci's with little lights that no one will pay any attention to or know why the light is there. :(

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Even with option A, the power remains on unless you push the test button or the device loses power. Only in those cases does the device "lockout" the power. With option B, the device also continues to provide power when it is not capable of providing the requried protection. It just indicates by some method that you aren't protected.
Don

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Geroge,
You have to dig deep in the fine print details. There is nothing that says that the new devices self check and disable the circuit. The same with the brand that does do self-checking...it only turns on an indicator when the device is no longer functional. This is just like the AFCIs...they try very hard not to tell the whole story...only when you look very close do you find the truth.
Don

bphgravity

It?s amazing how much grand-standing they do for something that isn't even close to being as what is implied. It's almost a conspiracy. All these companies have to know what the general public and casual electrical contractor assumes to be the case yet they all keep playing it up. :x

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I have to say, if what's been said is true, then they shouldn't have wasted their time.

Right now, defective GFCI's sometimes won't reset when it's attempted. Perhaps they just discovered which production line was creating this fluke and shut all the others down? :D

peter d

don_resqcapt19 said:
George,
It was a step, maybe a small step, but still a step in the right direction.
Don

I agree. But the manufacturers have taken on the unfortunate tactic of leaving out important details when introducing a product. The AFCI comes to mind. :roll:

ludilo

I belive the UL didn't require right now for a diagnostic for the right or proper function of the GFCI, but what it requires is a "Lock-Out" system if the product didn't reach the UL requirements of the GFCI in UL943 so the Receptacle did not supply more power if protection fails, but the new products as Hubbell Wiring Autoguard GFCI Receptacles did test themselfs every 30seconds and have a LED to inform the users if protection is missing. This product is an AUTOTEST GFCI that elimitates the never "TEST Monthly".

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
ludilo,
but what it requires is a "Lock-Out" system if the product didn't reach the UL requirements of the GFCI in UL943 so the Receptacle did not supply more power if protection fails, but the new products as Hubbell Wiring Autoguard GFCI Receptacles did test themselfs every 30seconds and have a LED to inform the users if protection is missing. This product is an AUTOTEST GFCI that elimitates the never "TEST Monthly".
But in no case does the GFCI automatically kill the power to the receptacle. For the Hubbell device, it just gives you a warning that you don't have GFCI protection, for the others they only lock out the power to the receptacle after a failed test or restoration of power after a power failure. If you never push the test button you can have power to the receptacle without GFCI protection.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.