Neutral to Earth Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

shlcmid

I know the code says Neutral to Earth connection shall be made at every main service disconnection point and then be isolated on every panel afterward. In my case I have an overhead pole mounted meter disconnect with neutral to earth connection, then UG quad threephase wire to a UG vault with the neutral connected to the earth ground rod, then about 10 feet of secondary to the main disconnect panel in the building. I said the customer should also connect neutral to earth bond in the main disconnect panel and then no where else. Isn't this setup correct? The electrician suggested that this would set up a parallel ground path and questioned the logic. I suggested it was code. Any thoughts?

bennie

Esteemed Member
Re: Neutral to Earth Connection

NE connections are permitted, and necessary, on the exterior of a building. They should be avoided on the interior.

shlcmid

What code reference would you give? Whatever I decision I make, the customer wants an approval letter and I would like to reference code in it.

Thanks

shlcmid

What about 250.28 on main bonding jumpers which indicates that each service disconnect shall have an unspliced main bonding jumper from the equipment grounding conductor to the grounded conductor. Isn't the customer's main disconnect panel still a service disconnect? Also on 250.24 (5) how can you not bond on the load side of a service disconnecting means? If you bring an equipment grounding conductor into the service disconnect panel, it will also be tied to the load side of that panel at that point, wouldn't it?

websparky

Please clarify what piece of equipment is the "service disconnect".

You mentioned the "pole mounted meter disconnect", and " of secondary to the main disconnect panel".

The "seconary" would seem to indicate a xfmr?

Thanks,
Dave

shlcmid

Begin at overhead 3-phase transformer bank with overhead wire to utility meter disconnect panel. Then customer ug secondary wire to ug termination vault, then additional secondary wire to customer main disconnect panel just inside building.

charlie

Originally posted by shlcmid:
Begin at overhead 3-phase transformer bank with overhead wire to utility meter disconnect panel. Then customer ug secondary wire to ug termination vault, then additional secondary wire to customer main disconnect panel just inside building.
The NEC, in section 90.2(B)(5), states "Installations under the exclusive control of an electric utility where such installations
a. Consist of service drops or service laterals, and associated metering, or"

Since the meter disconnect is required by and is under the exclusive control of an electric utility, the meter disconnect is not service equipment.

Bottom line, ignore the cash register . . . UH . . . metering equipment and treat the cable past the meter as a customer owned service lateral. Don't forget to install the warning ribbon. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.