Neutral not carrying unbalanced load

shk1101

Occupation
Electrician
Was measuring amperage for 120/240V panel
Line side - Phase A: 11A, Phase:B 32A
But the Neutral was only carrying: 9A, why would it not be carrying around 22A?

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Either a ground current, an additional neutral path, or a bad reading. Be sure the clamp on the meter is completely closed. Try to have the conductor in the center of the clamp opening.

Sea Nile

Occupation
Electrician
Was measuring amperage for 120/240V panel
Line side - Phase A: 11A, Phase:B 32A
But the Neutral was only carrying: 9A, why would it not be carrying around 22A?
If your measurements of the A and B leg of the phase are accurate, then I guarantee you that 22A is making it back to the transformer neutral point. The question is how many paths is it taking and what are they.

But I don't think your measurements are accurate. Assuming you checked for voltage and both legs were 120v to neutral, it would mean that you have an alternative path back to the transformer that is better than the intended neutral by being able to carry more than half of the current.

It would make sense if you had a bad neutral, but then you would see a voltage mismatch between the legs and neutral.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If your measurements of the A and B leg of the phase are accurate, then I guarantee you that 22A is making it back to the transformer neutral point. The question is how many paths is it taking and what are they.

But I don't think your measurements are accurate. Assuming you checked for voltage and both legs were 120v to neutral, it would mean that you have an alternative path back to the transformer that is better than the intended neutral by being able to carry more than half of the current.

It would make sense if you had a bad neutral, but then you would see a voltage mismatch between the legs and neutral.
Maybe not if the area has a common metal underground water piping system and multiple services are bonded to that system as required by the code. It is not unusual to find 20% or more of the neutral current on the water system even where the neutral is in perfect shape. You can have a completely open service neutral without any voltage mismatch where the metal water pipe is carrying the neutral current.

shk1101

Occupation
Electrician

I checked the voltage everywhere and got correct voltages

Sea Nile

Occupation
Electrician
I checked the voltage everywhere and got correct voltages
I don't know then what the issue is, but it's physics. Your original thoughts are solid.

What ever the current leaving on one leg will equal exactly the sum of what's returning on the other leg and the neutral.

And if you are saying that the voltage on each leg to neutral is balanced 120/120 at the same time you are carrying an unbalanced load of that magnitude means you have a solid connection to the source neutral. But the only way that can happen is if you have a parallel path back to the transformer neutral point that is more effective than your service neutral. Which blows my mind.

If it were the other way around it would make more sense, you will always have a trickle coming back on the ground rod of the house to the ground at the source through the earth, but your numbers mean the alternate path is better than the intended path.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
230710-1933 EDT

shk1101:

chris kennedy answered your question in post #2.

You going to have to show me that math for that based on the values in post #1. I don't see any possible combination of line to line and line to neutral loads that would result in 9 amps of neutral current where one line is carrying 11 amps and the other 32 amps.

gar

Occupation
EE
230710-2136 EDT

don resqcapt19:

I misread the question in terms of your analysis. I had thought that the measurements of the 120 V loads were given which would have excluded 240 loads, but your interpretation is more likely correct.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Clamp all the incoming conductors at the same time. What is it?

This is the approach I would take.

When you clamp multiple conductors at the same time, you measure the net current flow. In other words, the physics does the math for you.

In addition to the possibility of current flowing on the GEC, you might also be seeing measurement error because of waveform shape.

Or you might have loads that changed between your various measurements.

Clamping all the circuit conductors at the same time gives you a measure of the net current after instantaneous addition of the component currents.

Jon

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
I'm not concerned about the 240v. I'm curious about why I'm not getting the difference sent back to my neutral.

Well you should be.

Because none of your 240V loads will send *anything* back on the neutral.

Just based on the numbers you have posted, you could theoretically have 10 amps of 240V loads, 12 amps of 120 L-N loads, with 9A on the neutral and 3 on the EGC.

All I’m going off of is the numbers. You haven’t told us anything about the existing loads.