Neutral not bonded to ground??

YungSparky

Occupation
Apprentice Electrician
I'm a 1st year apprentice. Working on a job, out of curiosity I tested for continuity between neutral and ground on some branch circuit, and found that there was none. My understanding was that neutral was always bonded to ground at the main panel. I asked my foreman and he said something about why it wasn't necessary that I didn't understand. Can anyone help me understand what was going on? Thanks.

YungSparky

Occupation
Apprentice Electrician
How did you test for continuity?
In a junction box, between a) the neutral wire and the box/conduit and b) between the neutral wire and the grounding conductor.
I'm thinking maybe the circuit hadn't been landing in the panel yet, and he didn't understand my question?

acin

Occupation
general building contractor est.1984 . C 10 elec. lic.as of 8 / 7/ 2020
I'm a 1st year apprentice. Working on a job, out of curiosity I tested for continuity between neutral and ground on some branch circuit, and found that there was none. My understanding was that neutral was always bonded to ground at the main panel. I asked my foreman and he said something about why it wasn't necessary that I didn't understand. Can anyone help me understand what was going on? Thanks.
a prefect time to learn, ask him again

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
a prefect time to learn, ask him again
Disconnects can open the neutral if all ungrounded conductors are also opened.

GFCI safety devices can also open the neutral when tripped.

Impedance grounded systems may not register continuity when using a high-impedance VOM.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Disconnects can open the neutral if all ungrounded conductors are also opened.

GFCI safety devices can also open the neutral when tripped.

Impedance grounded systems may not register continuity when using a high-impedance VOM.
1st year apprentice, probably should try not to confuse or overload him.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
That's a scary thought!
Maybe the circuit hadn't been landed in the panel yet, I'm not sure.
Pretty bad answer from your journeyman. I would think if not being hooked up was the reason, then you would have understood that answer, so I question that. Is there anyone else on your crew that can answer? Not being landed is a good thought for a first year apprentice though. In fact, when I am troubleshooting a receptacle that has no power, one of the first things I do is check neutral to ground, because, if there is no continuity, it is a good chance I am looking for a completely disconnected, circuit, whether cut through or not hooked up at all.

YungSparky

Occupation
Apprentice Electrician
Ok, thank you for the replies everyone.
I went around and tested to today and...sure enough all the neutrals are grounded.
I'm pretty sure the one I was testing in the first place just hadn't been landed yet.
When I asked my foreman why the neutral wasn't grounded, I think he thought I meant *grounded inside the box* (as opposed to bonded at the panel).
Sorry for such a dumb question and to waste everyone's time. 😬