Neutral/Ground bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

guygroulx

I'm doing an addition to a main distribution panel. I'll have to put in a 100A breaker to feed a garage sub panel. My problem is that the neutral/ground buses are full. There are enough blanks left to install a 100A breaker.
The only way that I can see to fix the problem is to pack all of the small ground/neutral connecting spots to free one that is large enough to accept a neutral and a ground to the sub panel.
Question:
1-I could use some advise on the above.....

2-Is there a way that would be acceptable to add an other neutral bus in the main distribution panel? BTW... after installing a 100A breaker, there will still be enough space for at least 4 breakers not counting tandum breakers, so there are not enough bus connecting space on the present busses.
Thanks
Guy Groulx

jimwalker

Re: Neutral/Ground bus

On most panels it is ok to have 2 wires under a grounding screw,but only 1 grounded wire.If that will not fix it then add a bar for the grounding wires and perhaps a #4 to bond the 2 bars together.

bphgravity

Re: Neutral/Ground bus

There is nothing in the NEC that would prevent you from splicing a few of the conductors together and then terminating them with a single conductor; if sized properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.