NEST smoke detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grouch1980

For anyone in the NYC area, are these types of smoke detectors allowed in dwelling unit bedrooms, and right outside the bedrooms? These are not part of a fire alarm system, but rather just hardwire to the 120/208 volt panel in the apartment (and have battery backup):

Just making sure there’s nothing that says these are not allowed. Don’t want to get burned by an inspector 🤯

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
For anyone in the NYC area, are these types of smoke detectors allowed in dwelling unit bedrooms, and right outside the bedrooms? These are not part of a fire alarm system, but rather just hardwire to the 120/208 volt panel in the apartment (and have battery backup):

Just making sure there’s nothing that says these are not allowed. Don’t want to get burned by an inspector 🤯
I believe the Nest detectors are UL listed for the purpose, so the AHJ should be OK with them. You might want to have a copy of that listing on hand during the final.

If this is all-new construction, there might be an issue. I don't believe the Nest hub is listed to UL864 as a fire alarm control unit, so you would need hard-wired smoke/CO alarms or a full-blown panel and detectors.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I believe the Nest detectors are UL listed for the purpose, so the AHJ should be OK with them. You might want to have a copy of that listing on hand during the final.

If this is all-new construction, there might be an issue. I don't believe the Nest hub is listed to UL864 as a fire alarm control unit, so you would need hard-wired smoke/CO alarms or a full-blown panel and detectors.
What does a Nest Hub have to do with using their smoke alarms? The smoke alarms operate independently and don't require any other equipment. They just allow for notifications on other devices but you are not required to use those options.

gadfly56

Occupation
you mean this NEST hub?

No, my intent was to just hardwire the smoke/CO alarms right back to the electrical panel. So you're saying this is still ok?
OK, I didn't notice in the detector link that there was a wired version of the detector. In that case, using that product, you should be good to go. Be aware that some years ago there was a glitch in the detector software that let you actually shut down the detector. I believe that was fixed and shouldn't be an issue these days.

gadfly56

Occupation
What does a Nest Hub have to do with using their smoke alarms? The smoke alarms operate independently and don't require any other equipment. They just allow for notifications on other devices but you are not required to use those options.
I realized that after reading the installation manual. However, you still need to get the app to set up the detectors. The interconnect feature is wireless, even on the wired version of the detectors.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I realized that after reading the installation manual. However, you still need to get the app to set up the detectors. The interconnect feature is wireless, even on the wired version of the detectors.
Yes, you do need the app and WiFi for initial setup but once setup neither is needed. The interconnect is wireless but not WiFi so it does not depend on working WiFi in the home for normal interconnected smoke alarm functions.

gadfly56

Occupation
Yes, you do need the app and WiFi for initial setup but once setup neither is needed. The interconnect is wireless but not WiFi so it does not depend on working WiFi in the home for normal interconnected smoke alarm functions.
Well now, that's interesting. I'm surprised they did that, but on consideration, I'm guessing UL might have frowned on depending on some random router to keep your smoke alarms rolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.