Nest smoke detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Has anyone here installed Nest brand smoke detectors? I have a customer who wants to be able to monitor many aspects of her home while she is away. Thanks for any input.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Nest has had one recall of their combined smoke detector and proximity controlled night light.
Not sure how I feel about their overall reliability.
IMHO they do not lend themselves to a "set and forget" mode of operation although their added features are impressive.
If your homeowner is tech savvy and will be interacting regularly it may be a good fit.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
We just installed 9 of them in a home. The ones we did were the newest version 2 I believe. It is up to the tech guys to program them so I am not sure how it will work out. They are about $100 each

nizak

GoldDigger. Are you familiar with the product? I see that they offer DC only or 120v model. Was wondering if you need to install 1 unit AC and the rest can be DC?

Owner is extremely tech savvy.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
GoldDigger. Are you familiar with the product? I see that they offer DC only or 120v model. Was wondering if you need to install 1 unit AC and the rest can be DC?

Owner is extremely tech savvy.
No, I have not actually installed any, so I can't help you there.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I thought Nest products were grossly over priced for what they are. I just did some internet programmable thermostats for someone. I looked at the Nest, but bought Honeywell for less than half the price. They've work flawlessly for over a year now, once I got the networking issues at the site resolved when I initially installed them.

(side note: I had to test out the interface and iPhone ap for them, so I used my own phone. Now I have control of their heat and cooling... :angel:)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
We're the 9 you installed all DC powered?

We had 120V at the source and they had a battery backup in them. Wired just like a normal smoke but you didn't need the 3rd wired since they all communicate with each other electronically

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Has anyone here installed Nest brand smoke detectors? I have a customer who wants to be able to monitor many aspects of her home while she is away. Thanks for any input.

i've had three of them in my house for a year or so now....
they are battery powered smoke / CM units. zero complaints.

they network with the nest thermostat, and can be remotely controlled
by the app. an alarm from one of them immediately stops the furnace
blower as well.

the T stat works well. i've no complaints with either. significant heating cost
reduction.

put them in, log them into your wifi, and set up the app. pretty effortless.

Status
Not open for further replies.