need some sdvice

Status
Not open for further replies.

anyone

I am a new Electrician. I have helped do dozens of panels but have always chose to do the inside work(panel work). I have helped do the outside as well but have never actually made the service connections at the weatherhead. I never had the opportunity to watch either. I cannot understand how the other person I was working with was not getting shocked as he was not wearing "hot gloves". He was a kind of shady character and told me as long as you're only touching one conductor at a time you cannot get shocked? As I stated earlier I do have hot gloves but have never used them nor performed this connection "LIVE"before. I'm also unaware of the different kind of connectors available. If anyone out there can give a new guy some help I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: need some sdvice

Anyone, welcome to the forum.

Now the real conversation here. I don't know where you are, but some areas prohibit any one except POCO people from doing this.

Regardless, this is not a task that can safely be taught or learned here.

Roger

kelley

Occupation
Estimator

I agree also. Ask another experienced electrician to show you how it is done safely. Do not attempt until you feel comfortable making up the connections,Also have an electrician with you when you do your first few tie ins.
good luck and be safe

Kelley

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

I am closing this thread for a couple of reasons.
First, OSHA does not permit electricians to make this type of connection to live conductors, and second, even if it was one of the few times where OSHA does permit working on live conductors, there is no way to teach the required safety practices in an online forum.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.