need another opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

gent

from another forum...
I am gathering the parts needed to put together a temporary electrical service for a new home construction project.
What i plan to use is a 125amp weather proof Main Lug Panel with three breakers.
1-50 Amp 120V GFI to a single 50 Amp outlet for a compressor.
2-20 Amp 120V breakers each supplying a double GFI outlet.

The main panel will be wired to the meter base using the proper sized wire for 125 amp.
Question is will the local utility approve and connect this setup without having a Main Breaker??

Since it has less than four breakers I believe it can be used with out a main but may require a handle tie acroos all the breakers for approval.

Any thoughts?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: need another opinion

Clarification on above post:
"Posted by an ICC combination inspector and building official. I posted this here from the ICC forum because there had been conflicting answers to the question.
I do not know if the origional post was from a novice electrician or a DIYer but in my jurisdiction new construction must be done by licensed electricians."
He is not an electrical inspector nor is this a DIY'r post. He just wants to find out...

[ June 29, 2004, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: tom baker ]

gregoryelectricinc

Re: need another opinion

The installation you describe should pass inspection with no problems. The handle tie you mention will not be needed. This falls under the standard "6-handle " rule from the NEC that states that you must be able to turn off all power to a structure (in this case, your temp power pedestal)with no more than 6 throws of the hand. FYI, Milbank and several other manufacturer's have this product ready made, just add a 4x4 post, main feeder conductors, and a ground rod. Could save you the time to assemble.

Status
Not open for further replies.