nec

Status
Not open for further replies.

adonis

We recently wired a fire alarm system for an elevator at a school. We used all #14 thhn in emt conduit or in a metal (enclosed)wireway. An elevator inspector from the Dept. of Labor said that the thhn was wrong according to his interpretation of article 760. I think that he's misreading the code and that thhn is far superior than what he wants. He thinks it should be a fire retartant red wire like a fpl. When pulled in emt conduit thhn is the standard according to everyone I've spoke. Simplex Grinnel, the fire alarm company that provided the shop drawings and equipment specified thhn and emt. They cannot convince the inspector that he's respectfully wrong. He (the inspector)says the wire needs to be replaced. Is he correct? If so FPL wire comes in 4 colors. He insists on red. Fpl is rated for non-conduit applications. If he's wrong how can I document the NEC response?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: nec

Point out the second sentence of 760.27(B) (Conductors larger than 16 AWG shall comply with article 310) to the inspector. This is allowed per 760.52(A) exception (2)

Roger

[ February 27, 2004, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: roger ]

websparky

Re: nec

Maybe he could borrow someones NEC Handbook?

Section 760.52(A) permits any of the wiring methods in Chapter 3 to be used for power-limited circuits. In addition, 760.52(A), Exception No. 3, allows power-limited circuits to be reclassified and installed in accordance with the requirements for non?power-limited circuits. Where installed as non?power-limited circuits, the power-limited marking must be removed from equipment, overcurrent protection must be provided in accordance with 760.23, and reclassified circuits must maintain separation from power-limited circuits, in accordance with 760.26 and 760.54.

Status
Not open for further replies.