NEC coverage for CATV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do a lot of contracting work in apartment complexes for one of the large cable companies. Today, we were burying some 2" conduit to run our cable drops around a multi-unit building to the demark. A state electrical licensing board inspector (apparently in a REALLY bad mood) come by our site and told us that all of the conduit in which we are running coax (RG-6) to the demark box had to be capped with two inches of red-dyed concrete. On top of this, he stated that all of the CATV wiring in the apartment building had to be run in hangers. Time Warner requires none of this. Does the NEC apply? HELP!

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Re: NEC coverage for CATV

No and no! We used to do a lot of the same work. There is absolutely no requirement that the LV conduit be covered in concrete, red or otherwise. Further, you are free to use any means of cable fastening and support you deem suitable (unless in a plenum space).

Unless there is some kind if local restriction on PVC ask him to provide the relevant code sections! :mad:

-Hal

Thanks Hal...I didn't think we were doing anything wrong. It's only the...oh, 50th complex we've done this way. Never had a problem before. The local inspector said it was fine, but the big bad state guy had to throw his weight around a little. I think it's a case of a little man with a badge trying to act awfully self-important. Sad really...

[ July 08, 2004, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: parkinaustin1 ]

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Article 820 covers coax, and it is not subject to the rules of chapters 1-7 unless a reference is given in art 820, see section 90.3 And red concrete is not a NEC requirement at all. Your AHJ needs to give you a specific code reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.