NEC 500.7(K) "shutdown criteria"

Status
Not open for further replies.

natfuelbill

Any explanation of what the "shutdown criteria" or "shutdown procedure" (NECHB) might mean in NEC 500.7(K) ? I am mostly interested in Code and/or Standard references...

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Re: NEC 500.7(K) "shutdown criteria"

Unfortunately what the NEC says and what it SHOULD say with regard to Combustible Gas Detection Systems (CGDS) are two different things. Because the NEC cannot mandate external standards, CMP14 was left with the task of attempting to recognize CGDS while limiting their use to very specific applications.

First, CDGS may only be applied ?per Code? under one of the conditions specified in 500.7(K)(1), (K)(2), or (K)(3). What is not obvious (because of the external standards restriction) is that each of the three FPNs directly relate to one of those conditions.

One of my ?Comments on the Affirmative? while I was on CMP14 was a suggestion that the Submitter of the Proposal/Comment that got CDGS recognized also request the Standards Council to establish a Committee Project similar to NFPA 496 (Purging/Pressurizing) for CDGS in order to create a more general application Standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.