NEC 406.9(B) Clarification

SparkyAdam

Occupation
Electrician/Small Business Owner
Hello Forums,

I have a customer building a house who has specified the exact outdoor plug cover he wants. The problem is that the plug he wants is an industrial-grade plug that is washdown and wet location rated but is not an in-use cover. The plug he wants has an associated cord end that it is meant to be used with, and so far as I can tell, the plug cover would not be wet-location (or even weatherproof per 406.9) rated if he were to plug in an everyday cord.

This makes me suspect that this would fail inspection because the inspector would assume that the homeowner would be plugging in a normal cord, and therefore, this would not meet the standards for weatherproofing set out in 406.9(B)(1).

However, he is quite interested in this being his outdoor plug-in, so I figured I would solicit the community. Am I wrong on this one?

The cover:

The cords end it goes with:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That combo is fine but you'll need to find a location that meets the definition for a damp location.

SparkyAdam

Occupation
Electrician/Small Business Owner
That combo is fine but you'll need to find a location that meets the definition for a damp location.

So your saying this complies with 406.9.A but not 406.9.B, so if installed in a wet location, this is not compliant. Right?

That was also my assumption based on the reading. His plans have this in a wet location.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So your saying this complies with 406.9.A but not 406.9.B, so if installed in a wet location, this is not compliant. Right?

That was also my assumption based on the reading. His plans have this in a wet location.
Yes that cover would not provide in-use protection in a wet location because someone could insert a standard plug into it. The combination of the two pieces together would provide a watertight seal but the required in-use protection for the receptacle will not be met with that cover. If you could get it in a damp location then the cover is fine.