NEC 225.31 Disconnect means for feeder feeding Sub panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Residential Contractor
My issue is and hoping you can clarify:
I am Building an accessory Dwelling Unit (Detached Granny unit on an R-1 lot). From the main single family residence and 200 amp main disconnect load and meter socket I installed a 100 amp breaker running under ground feeding the new 100 amp sub panel with 20 spaces located inside the ADU. My Eaton sub panel is only a load center with no 100 amp breaker like say a model BRP20B100. My building inspector called out a disconnect means required under NEC 225.31 wanting a feeder disconnect. In reading the 225.31 I understand a disconnect for max 6 breakers, I have 20 breakers. Can i install a 100 amp breaker and run the feeders to 100 amp breakers in place of the inside panel lugs or do I need a separate disconnecting means outside sub panel?

Thank you in advance and look forward to your reply

George

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
All the ones I have seen, have a separate address and meter since they are used as rentals. Except for JADU.

retirede

The “B” in the 6th position indicates a main breaker panel. Was the main removed or do you have the wrong catalog number?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

Yes, the separate structure requires a main disconnect, which can be either a main breaker in the sub-panel, or a main disconnect ahead of it.

Except for the separation of grounds and neutrals, the service rules generally apply, such as the disconnect being outside or immediately inside.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The code does not specify the type of disconnect for the second building. It can be a knife switch type, or an enclosed breaker type, installed remote from the panel, or it can be a main breaker in the panel.

Occupation
Residential Contractor
The “B” in the 6th position indicates a main breaker panel. Was the main removed or do you have the wrong catalog number?
Sorry just pulled out model off internet my hope was to either pull guts out my lug style LINE entry and convert to 100 amp breaker disconnect inside sub panel de energizing hot bus I am hoping this will satisfy NEC 225.31?????????

Occupation
Residential Contractor
The code does not specify the type of disconnect for the second building. It can be a knife switch type, or an enclosed breaker type, installed remote from the panel, or it can be a main breaker in the panel.
Don thank you for that that was my plan this morning Going to get sub panel with 100 amp breaker in panel when off disconnects hot bus

Thanks

Occupation
Residential Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

Yes, the separate structure requires a main disconnect, which can be either a main breaker in the sub-panel, or a main disconnect ahead of it.

Except for the separation of grounds and neutrals, the service rules generally apply, such as the disconnect being outside or immediately inside.
Larry good point but to clarify since I pulled from house about 10 feet away (Main Disconnect and meter socket) via 100 amp breaker to my new ADU sub panel which has a UFER ground and since my sub panel was downstream of main disconnect I did separate the neutrals and ground via new ground bars along with UFER regardless of new proposed main breaker in sub panel??? did I understand your point

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Most Eaton subpanels that are 8 slots or larger can take a back fed breaker in the upper left or lower right positions. There is a hole in the pan to take the required hold down bracket. Many of the 100A panels they sell come from the factory this way (no separate main, but a backfed 100A breaker with hold down). That's the cheapest way to buy the breaker and kit, is in the bundle with the panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.