Mutliple Sets

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I know this has been discussed before but there seems to be varying opinions and I'm bidding a job with a lot of sets. I'm only running empty conduits and MC cable. Average run is abut 400'. There has to be reduction in labor time needed compared to if I were running much fewer sets.

My point I think I could possibly reduce my labor unit for the conduit if installing (10) sets compared to (2 sets).

(10) sets of 4" EMT
(5) sets of 4" EMT
(8) sets of 4" EMT
(12) sets of 4" EMT
(7) sets of 4" EMT
(6) sets of 4" EMT
(4) sets of 4" EMT
(3) sets of 4" EMT
(28) sets of 4/C #500 MC cable

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
There has to be reduction in labor time
As an apprentice reject, stomped on by construction industry captains for reporting job-site hazards, and spit on by armchair generals of this forum for resembling low-bid vermin who ingratiate themselves to General Contractors, it should come as no surprise my service business spits out the after taste of construction, remodels, and GC's all together, but for those who must adapt to such crap, this months issue of EC&M has an appropriate article.

Combating Construction's Biggest Time-Wasters. pp.24 March 2024 EC&M.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I know this has been discussed before but there seems to be varying opinions and I'm bidding a job with a lot of sets. I'm only running empty conduits and MC cable. Average run is abut 400'. There has to be reduction in labor time needed compared to if I were running much fewer sets.

My point I think I could possibly reduce my labor unit for the conduit if installing (10) sets compared to (2 sets).

(10) sets of 4" EMT
(5) sets of 4" EMT
(8) sets of 4" EMT
(12) sets of 4" EMT
(7) sets of 4" EMT
(6) sets of 4" EMT
(4) sets of 4" EMT
(3) sets of 4" EMT
(28) sets of 4/C #500 MC cable
Have you ever read the front of the NECA manual? If not, you should. Also most estimating programs I have used have some sort of reduction allowance for parallel runs. So yes, there is less labor involved. How you take a job off for an estimate is an entirely different matter. That needs to be determined by a person or people who holds the purse strings.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Have you ever read the front of the NECA manual? If not, you should. Also most estimating programs I have used have some sort of reduction allowance for parallel runs. So yes, there is less labor involved. How you take a job off for an estimate is an entirely different matter. That needs to be determined by a person or people who holds the purse strings.
I'm aware of NECA charts...just saying some people don't agree with the reductions

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I'm aware of NECA charts...just saying some people don't agree with the reductions
Not agreeing with the reductions would be ignorant. I am guessing those people you refer to are choosing not to adjust the estimate for that factor instead. Conduit run in walls takes longer than conduit run overhead, but I don't take them off separately and assign different labor rates to them either.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Not agreeing with the reductions would be ignorant. I am guessing those people you refer to are choosing not to adjust the estimate for that factor instead. Conduit run in walls takes longer than conduit run overhead, but I don't take them off separately and assign different labor rates to them either.
And why do conduit runs in walls take longer than ceilings? bending through the framing??