Multiple branch circuits in one EMT run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

kenaslan

6" EMT is not made or sold in the USA. It is not code compliant. I am not saying it is not made, may be allowed in another country.

As far as the multiple circuits in a conduit, outside the fill and derating requirements, they must keep the flow balanced. I say this because this was an art in the 70?s and lost on the young electricians of today. By this I mean that you must have current flow in BOTH directions in the conduit. Example, when running travelers for 3 way switches one may forget to run the return or the neutral with it IN THE SAME conduit.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
6" EMT is not made or sold in the USA. It is not code compliant. I am not saying it is not made, may be allowed in another country.

As far as the multiple circuits in a conduit, outside the fill and derating requirements, they must keep the flow balanced. I say this because this was an art in the 70?s and lost on the young electricians of today. By this I mean that you must have current flow in BOTH directions in the conduit. Example, when running travelers for 3 way switches one may forget to run the return or the neutral with it IN THE SAME conduit.

It is NEC requirement to run all circuit conductors in the same raceway or cable. (hot, Neutral & EGC), however, I dont think that applies to 3 way installation.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

trade size of EMT is 1/2" ~ 4", and that dates to 1976.

2011 NEC:

358.20 Size.
(A) Minimum. EMT smaller than metric designator 16
(trade size 1⁄2) shall not be used.
Exception: For enclosing the leads of motors as permitted in 430.245(B).
(B) Maximum. The maximum size of EMT shall be metric designator 103 (trade size 4).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.