Multi state licensing help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntxtrm1

Occupation
Master Electrician Supervisor/PLC Programmer
I am looking to get licensed in multiple states. Master/Contractor. I know there are firms out there that help you through the process. Does anybody have any recomendations? Ideas on how to best do this?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
As someone who holds a number of state master/contractor licenses and also managed a state electrical licensing agency, I can offer a few comments.
With most states doing more and more online the process is much easier than it used to be. As such, most of the outfits that would help you through the process are mostly gone and not really needed.
At the master level there are very few reciprocity agreements so for many you will need to take the exam(s). Some states are very friendly and helpful with the process and questions, some would sooner spit on you than be of any help. The best course is to study very carefully the states web sites and learn every detail you can before reaching out to them. I was always amazed at the sloppy, error riddled, illegible apps that would come across my desk that would have to be rejected. Some states can be done in a matter of days or weeks while some may take months to get trough the process.
Since most states now use one of a few national testing outfits for exams many allow you to take the exam anywhere. But again, details matter, as many require special permission to do this. Do not assume that just because some states use the same exam company the the exam will be the same among states as they are often custom for each state. Many states will require separate master and contractor exams and applications.
Also, in most states, at the contractor level you will need to show proof of insurance so you will need a carrier that can write policies in every state you are looking at.
To be sure, this takes time and patience as it is tedious work. Do you have a list of states you are interested in and where you would like to start?

Huntxtrm1

Occupation
I am in Texas now. Would like to start with Oklahoma, Louisianna, Nebraska, etc.. surrounding states basically. And work my way out from there.

texie

Occupation
I am in Texas now. Would like to start with Oklahoma, Louisianna, Nebraska, etc.. surrounding states basically. And work my way out from there.
You'll have to check but I think Texas might have recip agreements with OK and LA. NE you will have to apply and test. The bad news is that NE gives their own exams on paper and you will have to travel there to do it. They give them 6X a year (Covid permitting).

Huntxtrm1

Occupation
You'll have to check but I think Texas might have recip agreements with OK and LA. NE you will have to apply and test. The bad news is that NE gives their own exams on paper and you will have to travel there to do it. They give them 6X a year (Covid permitting).
Nebraska is old school like I took my Texas! I took my master when Texas was still SBCCI. Actually it was city licenses back then. I will look into the Ok and Loui licenses. I have been told some states will not take a license for recip that was an SBCCI license. They consider it "Grandfathered"?

texie

Occupation
Nebraska is old school like I took my Texas! I took my master when Texas was still SBCCI. Actually it was city licenses back then. I will look into the Ok and Loui licenses. I have been told some states will not take a license for recip that was an SBCCI license. They consider it "Grandfathered"?
That is true. Your grandfathered city license will not be acceptable for any state that I know of.

Huntxtrm1

Occupation
So, I better study up it sounds like. Whats some good study material to get back up to speed on the new tests? I realize this is The Mike Holt Forum. Is Mike Holt as good as it gets?

Buck Parrish

So, I better study up it sounds like. Whats some good study material to get back up to speed on the new tests? I realize this is The Mike Holt Forum. Is Mike Holt as good as it gets?
Yes, Uncle Mike is the high end of the electrical industry. It doesn't hurt to break it up with other videos like JCR

texie

Occupation
I think the best is Mike Holt's "Electrical Exam Preparation" with the practice test. If you have time and budget, Steve Arne has school in Rapid City that you can take a 5 day exam prep class. He uses Mike Holt materials. He is very good.

Huntxtrm1

Occupation
I think the best is Mike Holt's "Electrical Exam Preparation" with the practice test. If you have time and budget, Steve Arne has school in Rapid City that you can take a 5 day exam prep class. He uses Mike Holt materials. He is very good.
Rapid City, SD? That would be a cool place to take a class!

Buck Parrish

JCR? Sorry, only ones I am familiar with are Mike Holt, Tom Henry, and James Stalcup. Last 2 I used way back when I got my licenses in the 90's.
He was a Carolina guy, that's probably why you haven't heard of them.

But I was just thinking It would make studying easier if you broke it up a little bit. With different instructors.

Huntxtrm1

Occupation
He was a Carolina guy, that's probably why you haven't heard of them.

But I was just thinking It would make studying easier if you broke it up a little bit. With different instructors.
I am not against traveling a little for a course. Might benifit me to take the class in the state I test for. And, I sure dont mind a few different classes to keep it interesting. Is the PSI test the standard across all, or most states? And, is it the same test? Or, is it state specific?

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
df980be7e18c9ef4cfe71a74d08225d1.jpg

And here I am just looking for a way out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

texie

Occupation
I am not against traveling a little for a course. Might benifit me to take the class in the state I test for. And, I sure dont mind a few different classes to keep it interesting. Is the PSI test the standard across all, or most states? And, is it the same test? Or, is it state specific?
As I mentioned previously, do not assume that exams will be the same just because the state uses the same exam company. For example, TX and CO use PSI but it will not be the same exam. WY and SD use PearsonVue but in this case they are the same exam as they develop their exam together.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I see the masters test in Texas is ALL OPEN BOOK! Good god this generation has it easy! Lol. Mine was half closed book! Lol
Yeah, all I have taken has been half and half! LOL! I was taking the Evansville Indiana masters with the owner of the company and the Vice President, cruised through the closed book, but took my time with the open book. Got to the last couple of questions, and the owner said guess at them, we got to go. We all made within a couple of points of each other. (Yes, we all passed, but the two other guys that were with us, failed the journeyman’s)

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
As I mentioned previously, do not assume that exams will be the same just because the state uses the same exam company. For example, TX and CO use PSI but it will not be the same exam. WY and SD use PearsonVue but in this case they are the same exam as they develop their exam together.
All of mine were Block, don’t know if they are still around.

Huntxtrm1

Occupation
You did say that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.