Moving live T poles

Status
Not open for further replies.

highkvoltage

Re: Moving live T poles

Explain T Pole. If your talking about a distribution power pole? depends on voltage, pole height, equipment and experiance.

rhn

I moved one about 20 years ago when I was a lot younger I moved it by hand about 5' if I remember right. You will be amazed how top heavy a short service drop makes a pole.
By the way I wouldn't try it now. Not without 2 or 3 men to help

[ December 08, 2004, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: rhn ]

jimwalker

I seen it done wed at our job site.We did not do it.The GC superviser had his laborers move it.I can only begin to think what OSHA rules were broke.This seems like a very dangerious idea.It leaves a T pole without a ground rod while it is being moved.Yes if nothing shorts out and no load then everything is fine.I was curious as to if there was any really safe way to do this

charlie

It works best if the service drop is removed, you move the 4 X 4 and then we will reconnect it for you. :D

jimwalker

Charlie yes thats the right way but would customer be charged ? and would they re hook up while we wait. In our case contractor didn't want to pay for us to move it.

charlie

If you were on our system and could move it in 15 minutes of so, we would drop and reconnect without a charge in one trip. We will drop and come back without charge but the return trip would be in a couple of days.

The best way to do it is to put it where it doesn't need to be moved later. :D

rattus

Everything is insulated right? Should be no great danger of shorts, and if someone is worried about no ground, a temporary connection could be made with a GOOD set of battery cables. This from an amateur.

I was mightily impressed by the crew that installed new poles along our alleyway. The only interruption was about 30 min. while they moved the transformer. Of course they had cherry pickers, gloves, and temporary insulation. Still, they scared the whey out of me, who has no fear of 240/120.

luke warmwater

The most recent one that we did was in PA.

We actually moved the service off of a house to a temp-pole location for some remodel work.

PECO said it was our job to move the service drop to the temp pole, so we did.

For obvious reasons, I'm not going into procedures on this type of work, and I would say that even if the Utility wants to pass the responsibility on to the Electrician to move the drop, it should be done by someone that is qualified.
So, maybe sub it out if you have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.