Mounting technique, height for exterior free standing panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently working on a job where my client is asking for two exterior NEMA 3R enclosure 60 amp panelboards. He wants them to be positioned on the edges of his building's parking lot, and they will serve as distribution point for waterproof GFCI receptacle enclosure, to be located at a later time. Given that background, I have two questions.

1. How would you suggest I mount the panelboards? They will be free-standing and already have conduit stubbed up at their locations for their primary feeders. I was considering using 2 vertical galvanized uni struts with a concrete poured base pad. Is there a better way to do this?

2. Is there a minimum mounting height for outdoor panelboards per NEC?

Any help is appreciated.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
1. I've used 6x6 x ten ft PT wood posts, have the ditch dug 5 ft deep, set the posts in and backfill up 3 ft. Now your posts are supported, you can run your conduits into the panels with 2 ft cover.
If you use concrete and strut, you have to allow for future conduit runs.
If you use strut - double deep HD galv and all SS hardware
If in an area where can be damaged install concrete hydrant posts
2. No minimum height for this application. I like 5 ft to the top.

For a really nice job. get a custom open bottom NEMA 3R enclosure, all the gear inside is NEMA 1 on a backpanel. This is installed on a concrete pad. I've done many jobs like this, for sewage flow monitoring equipment along public right of ways

27hillcrest

I would use 2" rigid. Then build your strut frame on that to hold the panels. I have done this many times at one of the quarys I worked at.

Status
Not open for further replies.