Mother-in-Law Suite Small Appliance Branch Circuits

paullmullen

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I'm wondering how the AHJs in your areas read the code requirements for a Kitchenette in a "mother-in-law suite." This Kitchenette will have a sink, disposer, a microwave and a small dorm-style refrigerator in it. Do the AHJs typically view this as a kitchen requiring two Small Appliance Branch Circuits? Or is this "something else"?

NTesla76

Occupation
Electrics
It could meet the definition of a kitchen in Article 100, depending on how someone views the microwave. Does it have an area for food prep?

paullmullen

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
A small counter top (2' x 2'). It's not urgent. I will just ask the local inspector to see how he sees it. And to put in two circuits is not going to break the bank.

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
I'm wondering how the AHJs in your areas read the code requirements for a Kitchenette in a "mother-in-law suite." This Kitchenette will have a sink, disposer, a microwave and a small dorm-style refrigerator in it. Do the AHJs typically view this as a kitchen requiring two Small Appliance Branch Circuits? Or is this "something else"?

In Wisconsin, the State made the determination quite a few years ago that a microwave is not considered "permanent provisions for cooking".

brycenesbitt

In my area that's a kitchen, and creates a separate legal unit for rent control purposes, but not for building purposes. Perhaps you can call it a utility sink, and be fine for building code purposes.

kwired

Electron manager
If it meets the NEC definition of a kitchen, then it must comply with all NEC requirements for kitchens. It will need minimum of 2 SABC's supplying the counter receptacles. A SABC can serve kitchens, dining rooms, breakfast rooms, pantry, etc. But I believe there is wording someplace that states a SABC can not supply more than one kitchen.