Model Railroad Club Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

richo

I'm assisting a model railroad club in planning a new location. They typically use 12v dc power to nickle silver rails to power the trains. Some clubs are using 16v dc and I believe Lionel runs on 18v AC.

Does NEC article 720.4 require that the minimum wire size be #12 on ALL :eek: model railroads?

iwire

Staff member
Re: Model Railroad Club Wiring

Originally posted by richo:
Does NEC article 720.4 require that the minimum wire size be #12 on ALL :eek: model railroads?
I think you are in the wrong article.

Are the power supplies listed as class 2 or 3?

I would think the power supplies would be class 2 but I really do not know.

If the power supplies are class 2 or 3 the Article for you is 725 and you can forget about 720.

peter

As far as I know, all model railroads use plug and cord connected transformers to control their trains. [Thus beyond the scope of the NEC.] They are very aware of voltage drop issues associated with low voltage DC.
~Peter

iwire

Staff member

Peter I disagree, as much as it surprises me the NEC does go past the outlet. I do not know how they expect to enforce it though? :confused:

Here is one example.

210.21(B)(2) Total Cord-and-Plug-Connected Load. Where connected to a branch circuit supplying two or more receptacles or outlets, a receptacle shall not supply a total cord-and-plug-connected load in excess of the maximum specified in Table 210.21(B)(2).
????

Who will be watching this?

There are many more examples, a new one for 2005 is a requirement that your Christmas lights are UL listed.

Bob

[ December 04, 2004, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: iwire ]

peter

Your reference to "Christmas" lights is politically incorrect. :(

Anyway, if the dear Code wants to get involved past the outlet, then it should go all the way and require portable heaters, hair dryers and table saws to be equiped with 20 Amp plugs. Since this model railroad club is still in the planning stage, they should be able to say what exactly they intend to plug in and how many amps each transformer draws.

~Peter

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by peter:
Your reference to "Christmas" lights is politically incorrect. :D

Here are the actual sections

2005 NEC
410.110 Listing of Decorative Lighting.

Decorative lighting and similar accessories used for holiday lighting and similar purposes, in accordance with 590.3(B) shall be listed.
590.5 Listing of Decorative Lighting.

Decorative lighting used for holiday lighting and similar purposes, in accordance with 590.3(B) shall be listed.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I guess I am not too surprised they snuck this one in. I wonder just who snuck this one in and why. Is there any way to find out?

This seems way outside the spirit of what the code is supposed to be.

iwire

Staff member

Here is a little of the Analysis from the IAEI

This combinations of actions provides code enforcement officials with a rule that can be adopted as law and serve as a basis for keeping unsafe products of this type from being used.
The combination they are referring to are these new code sections and a new UL Standard.

Apparently code officials will be going house to house and checking for compliance.

Does this mean I need a permit and inspections when I put up my Christmas tree? :roll:

[ December 04, 2004, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

midget

LOL...iwire...your posts are great--they always make me laugh/smile/think/wonder, etc. :D I think this requirement about Holiday Lights in a bit odd. lol

clayton

so this means any cord connected device will be subject to inspection????????

they are going to need a lot more inspectors

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

The substantion for the change mentioned was from the consumer product safety commission. They had a lot of detail on fires from the holiday lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.