Missing neutral question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I think it is more of a measuring circuit so something like maybe a class one circuit
If it were CT metering and all the ungrounded conductors were smaller and had proper OCPD's for conductor size I'd agree.

I myself feel there is no problem with a 14 or 12 AWG neutral for this purpose but NEC does give us minimum size conductor requirement for feeder neutrals.

kwired

Electron manager
some opinions here, but nothing definite https://forums.mikeholt.com/threads/ct-wiring-classification.106402/

Another long shot idea: I wonder if the AHJ and POCO would allow the EGC to be used for the neutral reference? I know some inverter manufacturers say you can to this (solectria and chint IIRC).
What kind of current will be drawn?

In recent years they added requirements for grounded conductors at switch locations for potential occupancy sensors or other automation devices that previously used the EGC to complete a very low draw control circuit.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Through the neutral? Virtually zero. Within the meter it is literally a #12 or #14 wire that makes the connection to the neutral. That's why it would be stupid to run a #2/0 neutral from the disco nearly 200' away through 50 year old UG conduit to feed it.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
What happens if this meter is placed at the other end of the feeder, where the neutral is easy to get to?

Presumably voltage drop in the feeder is no longer metered, a question of who gets charged for it.

I would think the POCO would want the meter as close to their lines as possible.

-Jon

4-20mA

an analog man in a digital world
Occupation
Instrumentation & Electrical

In recent years they added requirements for grounded conductors at switch locations for potential occupancy sensors or other automation devices that previously used the EGC to complete a very low draw control circuit.
But until then, you did what the AHJ wanted to see. Amirite? Is that the AHJ "making up rules"? Just one example to try to get you to see where my statement in the other thread came from. Sorry to interrupt.

Carry on.

ggunn

Occupation
The OP addressed that in post #7, it would require an additional 100' of trenching and PV conductors.

Cheers, Wayne
Make that 180' under walkways and other concrete. When I posted that I had walked the site but I had not measured it.

Make that 180' under walkways and other concrete. When I posted that I had walked the site but I had not measured it.
I assume you exhausted this route, but POCO ha no flexibility on a metering setup that works with what is there? I wonder if the POCO could take care of the neutral by making a connection to the EGC when then install the meter....that scene from the shawshank redemption comes to mind when they give the warden that apple pie with some $100 bills under it :unsure:

kwired

Electron manager
Through the neutral? Virtually zero. Within the meter it is literally a #12 or #14 wire that makes the connection to the neutral. That's why it would be stupid to run a #2/0 neutral from the disco nearly 200' away through 50 year old UG conduit to feed it.
My point was they decided that we shouldn't be using the EGC anymore as the neutral for occupancy sensors or other automatic switching devices that also have nearly a zero draw.

synchro

Occupation
EE
I wondering if you could do the following:
1.) Add a single phase 20A fused disconnect or breaker after the service disconnect, say on phase A for example.
2.) Route a pair of at least 12 gauge wires from the L and N outputs of the single phase disconnect, and through your existing conduit. The neutral conductor could be as small as 12 gauge because it's a separate 20A circuit from the main feeder.
3.) At the other end of the conduit feed the primary of a 277 / 277V isolation transformer with the two new wires, and connect the secondary between the A phase on the meter and the "neutral" input wire to the meter. The transformer output would then apply 277V between the A phase and the "neutral" input wire to the meter. It would have the proper phasing such that it subtracts 277V from the A phase and gets back to the same voltage that's on the neutral coming from the service (but without any direct connection to it). Overcurrent protection would likely be needed on the secondary of the transformer.
It would add a couple of "current carrying conductors" in case that matters.

ggunn

Occupation
Quick question if we have to pull a neutral: The existing conductors are (2) sets of 500kcmil copper in separate conduits. The neutral would only be for instrumentation and the AHJ is operating under the 2020 NEC, so the minimum size neutral (from Table 250.102) is 2/0 copper. Here's the question: can I pull that neutral through just one of the conduits? The conduits are different sizes; there is room in one but not the other.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Quick question if we have to pull a neutral: The existing conductors are (2) sets of 500kcmil copper in separate conduits. The neutral would only be for instrumentation and the AHJ is operating under the 2020 NEC, so the minimum size neutral (from Table 250.102) is 2/0 copper. Here's the question: can I pull that neutral through just one of the conduits? The conduits are different sizes; there is room in one but not the other.
I think you need a noodle in both pipes 300.3(B)(1)

ggunn

Occupation
Any way to break it up from 2 parallel runs to 2 separate feeders?
Upon reflection, I don't think we can do that without unconnecting both ends of the parallel sets and feeding them with two reduced OCPDs. We don't want to have to deal with the ancient switchgear.

kwired

Electron manager
Upon reflection, I don't think we can do that without unconnecting both ends of the parallel sets and feeding them with two reduced OCPDs. We don't want to have to deal with the ancient switchgear.
lost track of if it was mentioned what this is, but it would still be do-able if outdoors as you have no length limit on feeder taps.

Status
Not open for further replies.