Mineral- Insulated, Metal-Sheathed cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this stuff still rated for Class I Div I & II work?
Who makes it? Who sells it?
In particular for a 20 amp , 120 volt branch circuit.
The few wholesalers I have asked are not coming up with anything? Any one out there know about it? Thanks

s wayne cook

Re: Mineral- Insulated, Metal-Sheathed cable

I asked my supply house to get me a short sample to use as a prop in my classroom. It took them several months to get their hands on a piece but they finally came through for me. It did have the trade name of Pryotenax on it, but I think the makers name was different than what Ed listed. I'll find out and post later.

Now I'm looking for a sample of IGS cable. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Wayne

[ May 07, 2003, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: s wayne cook ]

banner93

would like to know if anyone has used MI cable to keep snow/ice off of wooden decks? Is it safe, is it effective? What size cable would I use? Any procedure for calculations for that application?
Thanks in advance :confused:

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by banner93:
would like to know if anyone has used MI cable to keep snow/ice off of wooden decks? Is it safe, is it effective?
I suggest you go to Google and enter the following

mineral insulated heat tracing cables
You will get all the info on this product you need.

That said I have never seen MI used in this sort of application.

It would be very expensive :eek: to purchase. install and operate. The only place I see MI heat trace used is in the toughest industrial environments.

You might try looking around this site Tyco Thermal Controls for something more cost effective.

When you are there hit the related button on your web browser to find more sites that might help you out.

banner93

Thanks Bob, I'll do some homework to see if it's worth the time and money.

brian john

In Washington DC MI cable is used quite a bit for ice snow melting in decks. We have been involved in several cases where the heat mat was damaged and the customers replaced the mat with MI. In one case they saw cut the deck, in the other case they poured a new surface. Additionally MI is installed for new projects for snow ice and then there are the fire pump feeders.

Status
Not open for further replies.