micro

Status
Not open for further replies.

pierre

Re: micro

Household Ranges and Cooking Appliances.

...supplying household ranges, wall-mounted ovens, counter-mounted cooking units, AND OTHER HOUSEHOLD COOKING APPLIANCES ...

Exception No 1. Tap conductors supplying electric ranges, wall-mounted ovens, and counter-mounted electric cooking units ....

The exception for tap conductors is very specific about which appliances can be supplied by the tap conductors, and microwaves are not of the three that are listed in the exception. The positive language of 210.19 covers 'all' cooking appliances, and the exception only lists the three types. this does not permit microwaves to be tapped off of the 50 amp circuit.

Pierre

eprice

iwire,

I agree, 210.21(B)(3) seems to pretty well preclude them unless they are to be hard wired.

pierre,

I'm not sure the microwave doesn't fit into the list of appliances covered. I would considere them to be a household cooking appliance. They're used to cook things in the household. There is no definition of "oven" in the NEC but the New Webster's Dictionary defines one as a "compartment for baking, roasting, heating, or drying" There is no mention there of how the heat is to be transfered to the food being heated. If the micro is mounted on the wall, it is a wall-mounted electric oven. The language seems to require any such appliance other than an electric range to be fixed in place. The microwave/exhaust fan combo mentioned in the opening post would, I believe, be fixed in place and wall mounted.

Please note, I'm not trying to advocate the practice and I've never encountered a "real life" situation where this was an issue. Maybe the code needs to be tightened up a bit here if the intent is that fixed-in-place microwaves not be included in the exception? I doubt they were in existence when the code rule was written and I wonder if a code making panel has revisited this section to decide whether it should or shouldn't apply to them. Maybe as iwire pointed out 210.21(B)(3) makes it all academic.

wyatt

Would not a micowave if we were going to tap of the 50 amp citcuit(not that I would but) have to be 20 amp or grater to apply to exception 1 of 210.19(A)(3). keeping in mind the 80% rule of 210.23(A)(1) this would rule out all pulg in microwaves that I know of

[ April 09, 2004, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: wyatt ]

websparky

I believe this table will show that a receptacle installed on a 50A OCD needs to be rated at 50A.

taps2.gif

Thanks for all the replys. The homeowner was a little upset when I told him I needed to run a new circuit for the micro-combofan. I could understand his reasoning " Its been taped off of the range all these years and we had know trouble" I couldnt give him the exact spot in the code book explaining this( the AHJ tried too ) but when he read all your replies he realized I wasnt trying to rip him off.... Thanks again Sparkadaddy

Status
Not open for further replies.