Meter Reader Find Something Used To Slow Down A Meter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe tedesco

te31.jpg

G

Re: Meter Reader Find Something Used To Slow Down A Meter!

OK, I'll bite. What's the question :)

G

Joe,
That would have been my first guess-- if I understood the question. How does it work? The meter LCD looks blanked out-- does the wire turn off the ability to log the usage? Or, am I understanding you to say that it mechanically interferes with the ability of the disk to spin freely?

../Wayne C.

[ September 22, 2003, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: awwt ]

charlie

I am not a meter person so please take my comments with a grain of salt.

I think this is a mechanical meter as far as producing the pulses and it has an electronic display. Stopping the disk will stop the display from increasing the reading. It is likely that the wire is used to stop the meter for a couple of weeks and it is removed until the meter has been read. It would be very difficult to add just a little drag on the wheel. Also, the wire is very visible to the meter reader unless this is a remote read meter (I don't think it is because I don't see a sending unit).

A totally electronic meter has no disk. The port on the front is for reprogramming the meter in the field. :D

noxx

You know, I've seen more attempts than I can recount by people to steal power, and I'm not a Utility person so I'm not certain, but isn't this entirely futile?

What I mean is, if a standard residential Xfmr feeds 5 pads, then the amount of current passing thru the Xfmr should equal the sum of the readings at the 5 homes served. If it doesn't...red flag, I would assume?

charlie

That would be true if the output from a transformer were metered. Normally, electric utilities do not meter the entire output from a transformer, they just meter the individual customers. :D

brian john

20 some years ago, before I carried a camera, I went to an apartment complex to check loss of power the meter had been red tagged, by the local utility. In a different meter bank someone had broken the meter glass and taken a broken broomstick and jammed it against the disk, very obvious with 2 feet of broomstick handle stick out.

tony_psuee

Several years ago I replaced a 5gal toilet with a 1.6gal and we received a visit from someone from the water company to check our meter! It seems they had a system to red flag sudden drops in water consumption. I would think the utilities could have a similar system.

Tony

bennie

Esteemed Member

My bill from Portland General Electric Co. includes a consumption graph for the present time and the same time last year. Any big departure from the amounts will indicate I am either welding or growing pot.

If the utility company does not see an arc, the cops will probably visit me.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by bennie:
I am either welding or growing pot.
Bennie you gotta bring the grow lights on line a little at a time. :D

There are Forums to help with those kinds of "electrical" problems too. ;)

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

I work for a water utility. We often get complaints from customers who feel their water meter is incorrect and overcharging them. They request to have the meter replaced, The old worn out meter is replaced with a new accurate meter and then the consumption goes way up.
I once worked with an electrician who claimed he could slow down his meter with a magnet. it didn't work and he had to apply to the power company for a rebate.
Whats interesting is both our water meters and power meters are radio read. It used to be the readers were good eyes for the utilities to spot tampering.

ronaldrc

Finally now we know why we get these short answers from Bennie from time to time.

jamey07

I remember one time back in the 80's when my brothers and I were fooling around with a bb gun on the side of our house in Philly. Well we inadvertantly shot the meter and we never mentioned it to our parents. My father could not understand why the electric bill was so low for summertime use. Each month the bill was the same amount.

Apparently the bb went through the glass and damaged the disk.

crash

Do you think a .17 HMR would work the same as a BB

Status
Not open for further replies.