Meter panel upgrade

Martin22

Occupation
C10 electrical
Hi guys I'm a newer c10 contractor so I'm still learning the NEC ive done alot of research about this but you guys have years of experience. I appreciate all of your help. I am going to be doing a panel and service entrance upgrade and I am wondering if I am allowed to run my 1.5 rigid pipe how I have it in the drawing going down the side of the building and then up? The new meter panel is 125amps 2awg wire Or does the rigide pipe it have to go straight up from meter panel? The service entrance from pge is right were I have the white line going up so that has to stay there.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240427_200929_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240427_200929_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
No problem at all. You might consider using 2" if there's a chance of it becoming 200a.

Looking closer, are you sure it's an upgrade? It looks like 200a, and maybe 3ph.

Martin22

Occupation
C10 electrical
Would it be OK to use unistrut and pipe clamps every 24 in or is it better to use 2 hole straps?

Martin22

Occupation
C10 electrical
No problem at all. You might consider using 2" if there's a chance of it becoming 200a.

Looking closer, are you sure it's an upgrade? It looks like 200a, and maybe 3ph.
The current panel is 200 amps but it was done illegal and the wire is only 2awg.. it's a very small office..doesn't need very much amps..I already have the permit and a consultation with pge next week..I just want to make sure I have my plan set in stone before I talk to them

Crash117

Occupation
C-2 electrical contractor/owner operator
The current panel is 200 amps but it was done illegal and the wire is only 2awg.. it's a very small office..doesn't need very much amps..I already have the permit and a consultation with pge next week..I just want to make sure I have my plan set in stone before I talk to them
Double check your utility’s requirements for a riser that will support the utility drop. Most will specify minimum 2” ridgid if the conduit is intended to support the utility drop from the pole. You don’t want a rude surprise when they show after you’ve cut power and done all the new work then won’t reconnect when it doesn’t meet their standard.