Metal Wireway- Steel Columns

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are doing a PV installation and want to route our DC feeders (2-3 inch) from Array Combiners to the Inverter via steel columns (10x10x 5/8). A hand hole is available a bottom of column, we will use bushing on top to enter a junction box. Is this permissible? Provide NEC Code articles.
The second piece will be can we mix different system wiring in the column, A/C -D/C if properly identified. Would this be allowed.
We see similar situation at gas station fueling islands, routing of lighting circuits.

Thanks, LSOD:slaphead:

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
We are doing a PV installation and want to route our DC feeders (2-3 inch) from Array Combiners to the Inverter via steel columns (10x10x 5/8). A hand hole is available a bottom of column, we will use bushing on top to enter a junction box. Is this permissible? Provide NEC Code articles.

Debateable. You'd probably have a better chance of this being approved if you use USE-2 or PV wire for conductors since those are allowed to be run exposed for PV in not-readily-accessible areas. I.e. you could argue they're not required to be in an approved raceway. Really up to the AHJ though.

The second piece will be can we mix different system wiring in the column, A/C -D/C if properly identified. Would this be allowed.
We see similar situation at gas station fueling islands, routing of lighting circuits.

Thanks, LSOD:slaphead:

I don't have my code book handy but there is a section (690.31A?) that specifically prohibits pv conductors sharing a raceway with any non-pv conductors unless there's a partition separating them.

jumper

I don't have my code book handy but there is a section (690.31A?) that specifically prohibits pv conductors sharing a raceway with any non-pv conductors unless there's a partition separating them.

Is this the section you want?

690.4 Installation.
(B) Identification and Grouping. Photovoltaic source circuits
and PV output circuits shall not be contained in the
same raceway, cable tray, cable, outlet box, junction box, or
similar fitting as conductors, feeders, or branch circuits of
other non-PV systems, unless the conductors of the different
systems are separated by a partition
. Photovoltaic system
conductors shall be identified and grouped as required
by 690.4(B)(1) through (4). The means of identification
shall be permitted by separate color coding, marking tape,
tagging, or other approved means.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Is this the section you want?

Yup. Thanks.

Also, to add to my above post... It might be fine to use cables that are approved for enclosed spaces, such as MC or NM. Of course if the steel column is potentially a wet location then whatever is used ought to be rated for that.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Yup. Thanks.

Also, to add to my above post... It might be fine to use cables that are approved for enclosed spaces, such as MC or NM. Of course if the steel column is potentially a wet location then whatever is used ought to be rated for that.

<stupid point deleted> :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.