metal halide led replacement

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
That’s going to be a tough one, it would have to be a ballast bypass more than likely, and finding a line voltage with that pin configuration……..

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
That’s going to be a tough one, it would have to be a ballast bypass more than likely, and finding a line voltage with that pin configuration……..

That, and if you do find, the output will likely be substantially less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I have some 277v track lighting with these metal halide bulbs in them https://www.lightbulbs.com/product/ge-43273. I am wondering if there is a way to retrofit them to led or if it would make more sense to but led heads.
Is this a Dick’s Sporting Goods? I seem to remember on some stores they took over from Gallion’s? That had those funky track heads.

Krusscher

Occupation
Electrician
Yes. The MH says it's 97 lumens per watt.
I'm wondering why even try to change it
They seem to burn out quite often and when they do they mostly crack and break and are a pain to change out. There is something to be said about longevity in a lamp when you're an electrician at a facility. Maybe not so much if your a contractor;)

James L

Occupation
Electrician
They seem to burn out quite often and when they do they mostly crack and break and are a pain to change out. There is something to be said about longevity in a lamp when you're an electrician at a facility. Maybe not so much if your a contractor;)
Oh, I thought you were looking for job security 😅
I jest, I jest 😄

If you try to cram that much LED into such a small enclosed space, you're almost certain to have failure rates much higher.

The track head is not going to be designed with that much heat dissipation

And I really doubt you'll find anything close to 3400 lumens in an LED that's only ½" x 3"

An LED track would be the way to go

a.bisnath

Occupation
Electrical worker
Actually, I got through with doing this some years back as the unit's ballast did have multiple voltage taps , one of the being 120 volt and I just rewired to suit, please ensure that the led heads are exact "drop in ' replacements.
I have also used mercury/sodium/metal halide type ballasts as step up /step down transformers where only small power was needed- never forget to use a fuse or breaker in the circuit.

Flicker Index

Occupation
Lights
Replacing the entire head is the only way to maintain the desirable beam pattern. You can't just dump lumens out anywhere within the head. The existing optics expect to have the correct sized "ball of light" in correct place to deliver the light beam as designed.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
An expensive bulb, lots of cost if they burn out quickly. I would look into LED track heads. I have no clue what is out there now. Haven't handled any track lights in a long time. i would assume a few LED's are available.