MCC Sections

dvcraven0522!

Occupation
Electrical Design
I have MCC with 6 vertical sections for motor starters. The E.C. tells me he can disassemble each 90"hieght x 20" wide section to fit through the door. Is that correct?

I am wondering if the is possible with a horizontal bus. I understand there might be shipping split but I only have 7'high x 4' wide door.

Thx
Dan Craven

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Most equipment of that type can be disassembled by section and layed down to go through a doorway. You would just remove the plates between the bus sections.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
You are correct about "shipping splits" in that you cannot remove bus bars themselves, only the shipping split splice kits. So if the MCC has shipping splits of 2 or 3 sections, those are the smallest breakdowns you can achieve. Most MCC mfrs go to 3 sections max. per spit though, so worst case would be 75" when on their side.

BUT BE CAREFUL! Some manufacturers have stringent restrictions on how far you can tilt them from vertical, because skewing the structure can compromise (crack) the bus bar support structures. Laying them on their sides will void any warranty (if they are new), but more importantly, may become a problem if there is ever an accident and the bus bracing doesn't hold.

RTFM!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

BUT BE CAREFUL! Some manufacturers have stringent restrictions on how far you can tilt them from vertical, because skewing the structure can compromise (crack) the bus bar support structures. Laying them on their sides will void any warranty (if they are new), but more importantly, may become a problem if there is ever an accident and the bus bracing doesn't hold.

RTFM!
a bit of information I probably should have known 30 years ago.... luckily the good Lord takes care of dummies at times :)