MC4 connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
My solar experience is very limited.
I have a 2018 ford transit I bought used, it has 2 100 watt flex solar panels on the roof. The cables are wired with MC4 connectors.
-is this a standard connector for solar panels?
I need to replace a panel and change out connectors. I found crimp tool and connector at Amazon for $35, for a few connections will that inexpensive tool be ok?
Any recommended mfg of MC4 connectors

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
My solar experience is very limited.
I have a 2018 ford transit I bought used, it has 2 100 watt flex solar panels on the roof. The cables are wired with MC4 connectors.
-is this a standard connector for solar panels?
I need to replace a panel and change out connectors. I found crimp tool and connector at Amazon for $35, for a few connections will that inexpensive tool be ok?
This may not be a consideration for you, but if you cut the connectors off the module wiring you will void any warranty for the module.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I found crimp tool and connector at Amazon for $35, for a few connections will that inexpensive tool be ok?
Yes, that will be okay.
You could also probably find PV wire extension cords online.

I don't know why you would cut off the manufacturer's connectors instead of just making up connectors on whatever wires you are connecting to them.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Yes, that will be okay.
You could also probably find PV wire extension cords online.

I don't know why you would cut off the manufacturer's connectors instead of just making up connectors on whatever wires you are connecting to them.
I may have a bad connector/ cold solder joint. One panel of two has no current output. I had driven on very rough washboard road when the panel stopped working

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I may have a bad connector/ cold solder joint. One panel of two has no current output. I had driven on very rough washboard road when the panel stopped working
I would check in the junction box where the leads join the panel. That's a more likely failure point than the MC4 connector in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.