MC Cable

NoahsArc

Occupation
Residential Electrician
Maybe a dumb question, but why MC instead of pulling wire through a pipe when it's this much work to pull it?
500s aren't exactly easy just as THHNs, but 30 guys aren't needed for a basic 500 pull either.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Maybe a dumb question, but why MC instead of pulling wire through a pipe when it's this much work to pull it?
500s aren't exactly easy just as THHNs, but 30 guys aren't needed for a basic 500 pull either.
Because it's Vitalink 2-hour rated MC cable that he's asking about.

NoahsArc

Occupation
Residential Electrician
Because it's Vitalink 2-hour rated MC cable that he's asking about.
You'll have to forgive me, MC is verboten in much of my area.
Is this a requirement for emergency systems in the rest of the country, or is there some reason pipe and wire isn't permitted or is somehow far less economical?
Trying to pull 450' of giant MC through a space (how is OP doing it exactly?) sounds like a nightmare to me. I'm not even sure how it's done logistically other than the cable tray that was mentioned.
I'm quite curious now.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I would plan on 8-10. Besides being heavy it's simply hard to handle.
Ok THANKS a lot. can you explain the setup/task of these 8-10 men? E.g. 2 feeding, 2 pulling etc.

I'm not quite understanding needing that many men if your pulling it out and putting on racks as supports. I know I'm wrong, just want to understand.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The way I would plan or estimate is have three or four at the reel, two at the tugger, and three or more watching the rollers and roaming.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
The way I would plan or estimate is have three or four at the reel, two at the tugger, and three or more watching the rollers and roaming.
Thank you.
1. Why 3 -4 at reel?
2. I get 2 at tugger and pulling cable.
3. Three or more watching the rollers?? For what ? Don't the guys pulling deal with that?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
#1 Pulling wire off of a two ton spool is quite the task, it may not sound hard but starting and keeping that much weight moving is more than two can do for any length of time.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
When I say watching the rollers it means guiding and freeing up snags, and there will be snags

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Don't take this wrong, but if you get the project go help the crew during the installation
I wish I could. One thing I truly regret is not going through the apprenticeship program with my union. mike Holt is my education. I truly grateful for you guys.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
One last thing I think lol do you think it makes sense or is practical to put a 450 ft run on one reel?
If it's a 4/C it will be, If it's individual conductors it's 6 one 1/2 dozen the other. A single roll will speed up set up time.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
If it's a 4/C it will be, If it's individual conductors it's 6 one 1/2 dozen the other. A single roll will speed up set up time.
Regarding the four conductor reel that must be one ginormous reel. Is there any type of electric pallet jack that could move that around?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Regarding the four conductor reel that must be one ginormous reel. Is there any type of electric pallet jack that could move that around?
WP3235-45-2745sawsrbd---211C_001_01

Are you sure this is a 4 conductor cable?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That pallet jacket is rated for 5500 pounds but we've moved 8000 pound transformers with it. I've had the (dis)pleasure of running a lot of Vitalink and I would opt for the single conductor type if it's 500 kcmil.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
That pallet jacket is rated for 5500 pounds but we've moved 8000 pound transformers with it. I've had the (dis)pleasure of running a lot of Vitalink and I would opt for the single conductor type if it's 500 kcmil.
LOL. Do you remember( or know) if you could run 380' horizontally without having to splice?