main breaker replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
More reading between the lines to follow:

I think he was referring to getting a new panel, same as original and swapping components.

The problem with that is he would have to go back in time about 40 years. I'm sure the Murray the OP is dealing with is the old original Murray NOT the Siemens Murray. The best way to find new old stock or used old Murray breakers is to search for Crouse-Hinds. Crouse-Hinds owned the Murray line before selling it to Siemens. Seimens dumped the entire original product line except for the Murray name and breaker model numbers.

I think this is what the OP is looking for:
2pole100.jpg

mark32

The problem with that is he would have to go back in time about 40 years. I'm sure the Murray the OP is dealing with is the old original Murray NOT the Siemens Murray. The best way to find new old stock or used old Murray breakers is to search for Crouse-Hinds. Crouse-Hinds owned the Murray line before selling it to Siemens. Seimens dumped the entire original product line except for the Murray name and breaker model numbers.

I think this is what the OP is looking for:
View attachment 11459

This happened to me recently at a friend's house with a 100a Murray main. I was pulling in a new circuit and I noticed the main was quite warm as my hand passed over it. The one terminal was damaged from slight arcing and I sought out to fix it as soon as I could. There's a clip that holds the breaker in place as well as the screw, of which I didn't notice until I went back for the repair. (It was getting dark and there was a mini cob web in the hole of the screw) I picked up a standard Murray with the intentions of finding a direct replacement afterwards. Well, after removing the breaker and reterminating the service conductors, I go to push the breaker into place, and there's no lip for the rear of the breaker to lock onto, huh? I couldn't believe it. The only thing keeping the breaker in place was the bus. I didn't want to put the old breaker back in and I had to get to another job so I wrapped two tie wraps around the breaker, which held it in place swimmingly. A day or two later I took the original breaker to the largest supply house in the area and it was determined that it was obsolete, like Curt said. I figure I'll either just replace the panel or get a used breaker off eBay.

Status
Not open for further replies.