low voltage wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

juanh50

When using low voltage circuits 12 thru 24, does code require stranded wiring instead of solid?
Is there a code that addresses types of wiring types? What is that code number?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Re: low voltage wiring

You can use either. The Code doesn't say anything about this nor should it.

Don't know what you are looking for in wiring types. For low voltage start reading at Article 725. For general wiring look in Article 310.

-Hal

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

My first reaction was to agree with Hal. But I think we need more info. For example, is the wiring for low voltage lighting? What size conductors?

Conductors size 8 and larger must be stranded. I also think stranded is required for connection to some types of equipment where vibration may be a problem, but I can't find a code reference and I'm not sure if this would apply to low voltage.

Steve

juanh50

Low voltage wiring is going on panic device with an alarm. Panic device is used to secure a door and upon depressing push pad or push bar to open door, alarm will sound. Most installers use single stranded wiring and have a history of broken wires due to bending inside the unit's enclosure. I would like to use some type of reference to use stranded wiring, but would also need something to reference to.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

hbiss is right. Since its not a safety issue (at least there are no hazzards possible from the wiring or installation) the NEC doesn't cover it. It seems to be more of a design issue.

Stve

hurk27

I have used solid wire before on installations like this and had problems with the wires breaking where the wire has to flex at the door hinges. I now use only #18 ultra flex alarm type wiring, never had a problem since.

Status
Not open for further replies.