LOW VOLTAGE WIRING

Status
Not open for further replies.

elvis1000

I WORK IN A ELECTRIACL DISTRIBUTOR AND I HAVE A COSTUMER WHO AS 480V TO LIGHTS RUNNING THROUGH HALF INCH EMT.USING 24VOLT DIMMERS CAN HE RUN THE CABLE FOR THEM THRUOH THE SAME EMT
THANKS

iwire

Staff member
Re: LOW VOLTAGE WIRING

MOST LIKELY NO, WE WOULD NEED MORE INFO TO BE SURE. WHAT CLASS CIRCUIT IS THE 24 VOLT CONTROL CIRCUIT

luke warmwater

elvis,
I applaud you at trying your resources to find the answer to your question.
And i agree with Bob, probably not.
I don't feel that this is the type of question answer that the distributor should be relaying to their customer. I've never heard of the distributor designing the electrical layout for systems. Especially with very limited info.

jimwalker

Elvis,your a salesman not an EC .Why is a EC asking you if its ok or not.That is his job not yours.Your job is filling orders and trying to locate materials for his order.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Elvis, this question comes up a lot and is often misunderstood. Perhaps you should not be designing the layout, but if your EC doesn't know then he should.
You'll need a NEC to follow the references.
While 300.3(C)(1) may seem to allow "low votage" (not the correct term for the 24 volts in question) with the power conductors, most miss the FPN.
And 90.3 gives the layout of the NEC, so Art 725 modifies the rule in Art 300.
And 725.54 says you probably can't do this.
It depends on the type of "low voltage" system it is, if a Class 2 or 3, then no. Class 1 probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.