Low voltage lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

luke warmwater

Re: Low voltage lighting

If you do a search on this forum, you'll find there are Many threads on this subject.

We install miles of Seagull Ambiance lighting.
We use 14/2, 12/2, or 10/2 NM depending on the circumstance.

Chapter 3 wiring method as others have stated.

Butt splice crimps are one method to connect, but Seagull makes 2 types of connectors:

#9459 is a mini splicer that works great.

#9481 is a wiring compartment that has a 1/2" KO hole for an NM connector. These work great also. These are similar to a plugmold end-feed fitting.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by hbiss:
No reason the transformer manufacturers can't make the larger sizes with multiple OCP'd outputs so that you didn't have to drag 8ga wire around.
That would help some people and be a major problems for others.

The times I have used a 300 watt LV lighting transformer I have needed the 25 amp output in one location.

We use it for LV track lighting and other similar installations. :)

rap

why not install some 3/8 flex and run your low voltage cable through it ., and you can still use your crimp connectors

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by rap:
why not install some 3/8 flex and run your low voltage cable through it ., and you can still use your crimp connectors
That would still be a violation if the LV cable was not listed as a chapter 3 cable.

aecjohn

I was on a job and I saw the other electrician had run 2 # 12 THHN ( a black and a white) from the transformer in the basement up thru the wall to the LV undercab lights. It even passed inspection!!

I just ordered the wiring compartments from seagull. I am gonna use 24v and smaller wattage transformers so I can use 12/2 rx.

I wish someone would come up with an listed stranded wire! Would make life very simple!

[ April 06, 2004, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: aecjohn ]

hurk27

Years ago they use to make a stranded NM but i guess no one bought enough of it and now it's very hard to find. Maybe now that we have a good purpose for it we could get the wire manufactures to make again?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Dunno. What does it take for a manufacturer to come up with a new product like this? The NEC says you must have it yet there is no demand because it's not available. Consequently everybody does their own thing and inspectors don't enforce.

If there was a product for this on the supply house shelf the compliance issue would go away overnight so I blame the wire manufacturers.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.