Low Voltage Lighting

davidhall

Occupation
Operations Manager
Hi All!

I have a small subdivision that has low voltage lighting installed on the houses to light up the road, but the transformer is located near the house panel at the entry to the community. One of the homeowners discovered this and is throwing a fit, he is stating that it is dangerous to have fixtures on a home that are powered from a source that is not part of that home's electrical system. I wouldn't call it dangerous, but something definitely stinks about it. The other homeowners are asking me to write a "report" stating that it is not a Code violation, can you all please help me out? Is it a Code violation?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

I'm not aware of any such rules, but it seems no different from neighborhood street lighting or apartment common-area lighting.

Kansas Mountain

Occupation
Lighting and Lighting Control Designs
Assuming that there is an HOA in this scenario. If there is, that HOA agreement would be the first thing I checked. If those installations are mentioned/protected in the HOA agreement, probably not much the homeowner can do without getting that provision amended through his HOA board.

If it's not mentioned, I would think he has the right to pay to have it removed. Definitely would consult an attorney though before taking any action. Even if there was a code section initially prohibiting this type of installation (can't think of one that would apply anyway), if the AHJ allowed it initially, then it's a legal installation IMO.

davidhall

Occupation
Operations Manager
Assuming that there is an HOA in this scenario. If there is, that HOA agreement would be the first thing I checked. If those installations are mentioned/protected in the HOA agreement, probably not much the homeowner can do without getting that provision amended through his HOA board.

If it's not mentioned, I would think he has the right to pay to have it removed. Definitely would consult an attorney though before taking any action. Even if there was a code section initially prohibiting this type of installation (can't think of one that would apply anyway), if the AHJ allowed it initially, then it's a legal installation IMO.
I thought of an agreement or contract as well, but there isn't anything in place regarding this lighting according to the Board. The closest Code reference that I could find was 225.30 (E), but even that isn't specific enough for me to quote. I appreciate your help, and agree that if it passed inspection during the construction of the properties, then it is valid.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
It’s possible this was not inspected, in my state lv wiring is not required to be inspected as it’s safe from fire and shock. That safety part is your argument on why it’s not an issues. But Art 411 lv wiring has to installed as a system. A review of 411 may be in order