Low clearance can

Status
Not open for further replies.

keith gigabyte

Looking for a low clearance recessed LED trim. I have heard people talking about a trim that fits in an octogan box. Searched Internet but cannot find any. Does anyone know if such animal exists? If so what are the called. Or a link would be great

James L

Occupation
Electrician
The type which fits in an octagon or round residential box is called a disk.

available at big box stores. Halo, Commercial Electric, et al.

They cost $35-40 each there, or about $25 on Amazon.

I'm not fond of the look, as they are a half-inch thick below the ceiling

keith gigabyte

I looked at the links..yea these will work, but not too appealing to the eye. I have a knotty pine house..walls and ceiling, I needed to install 25 old work recessed cans. All came out fine except last one..of course..drilled into ceiling and landed right under radiator pipe..no clearance for standard can.
Normally I'd say just re drill in another location and patch drywall, but it is knotty pine and old/faded etc. so fitting a new piece for patch in will look worse than the surface mount recessed light.

Customer will be fine with it since its a separate room and I will trim the room with all the same.

thanks
for the help

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Here is an led panel I've used, and I really like them.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...ue&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_8&smid=A1OBV3I0DZOAPS

they're only about a half inch thick, so they can go in a hole even under a joist.

the only thing is that it has a separate driver with short leads, no junction box.

I use a shallow single gang with blank plate, like 1" deep. Then slide the j-box and driver into the hole however it fits, above the panel.

different sizes available, larger ones are higher wattage.

keith gigabyte

Here is an led panel I've used, and I really like them.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...ue&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_8&smid=A1OBV3I0DZOAPS

they're only about a half inch thick, so they can go in a hole even under a joist.

the only thing is that it has a separate driver with short leads, no junction box.

I use a shallow single gang with blank plate, like 1" deep. Then slide the j-box and driver into the hole however it fits, above the panel.

different sizes available, larger ones are higher wattage.

james l
so the driver takes 120v? and is set close to light fixture? or are u putting driver in j-box and just laying up in ceiling? not quite following

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I have these panels in my own basement. I mounted them into 7/16" OSB.

There are two spring clips which hold them in place. The clips do not come installed, and it takes a little bit to get that part down pat.

I stick the driver to the back of a j-box and put the makeup in the box. Feed it with 120 volts. Some panels use a dimmable driver.

Somehow the picture came out upside down

Attachments

• Led panel.jpg
    Led panel.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.