LOS ANGELES TIMES - Is College Worth It ?

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
BY TERESA WATANABESTAFF WRITER
JUNE 21, 2023 5 AM PT
FOR SUBSCRIBERS
Elijah Calderon, after a yearlong training program at Los Angeles Trade-Technical College, is poised to earn about $105,000 annually as a power lineman. Once he becomes a journeyman in three to four years, he stands to make about $165,000 — and potentially much more with overtime.
He had to let go of his high school dream of attending a four-year university because of family finances. But his chosen field in the community college system will propel him to the top 5% of wage earners among recent California college graduates — outearning many who attended the most prestigious universities in the state and the nation.
A Stanford University student graduating with a bachelor’s degree in political science makes a median annual income of $75,500 four years after graduation. A UC Berkeley sociology major earns about $64,000 at that four-year snapshot and a UCLA graduate in history, about $47,900, according to a new analysis of federal data by the HEA Group, a research and consulting agency focused on college access.
As millions of high school and college students graduate this month to pursue higher education or launch newly minted careers, the data highlight the powerful role that their majors play in determining post-graduate earnings regardless of the prestige of the institutions they attend. The analysis comes amid growing scrutiny over the value of college degrees — and whether higher education is worth the rising costs.

retirede

IMO, it would be fairer to compare the lineman’s median salary to that of a 4 year degree in a science/technical area. A BA in the humanities area will alway be relatively low.

mtnelect

Occupation
I think the "Prestigious Colleges" are vulnerable for a class action lawsuit. For over charging a first-class education, and politicly indoctrination for free.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
For many kids, college is nothing more than extended high school. A lot of them, after 4 years, are ill-prepare to live in Is the real world and have done nothing toward a career path.

But I don't think it's really good to compare a lineman to a deadbeat sociologist. Most kids going into a trade school are simply not going to make $165k within 3 years.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
For many kids, college is nothing more than extended high school. A lot of them, after 4 years, are ill-prepare to live in Is the real world and have done nothing toward a career path.

But I don't think it's really good to compare a lineman to a deadbeat sociologist. Most kids going into a trade school are simply not going to make $165k within 3 years.
But 70 to 90 k in 4 years is and that's alot better than a coffee shop. I worked fast food for 6 months when work slowed down. I was the only one without a degree and I had no debt. They made 9.50 an hour.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor

Or even 6 years. In a strong Union area with lots of government work, maybe.

IMO a four year education is a good thing and many/most people should do it. I am very glad I did it and I had a great experience, even though I ended up "not using it". What I don't agree with necessarily is pursuing an expensive prestigious school and accumulating a ton of debt. I graduated with about $8k in debt.

mtnelect

Occupation
IMO a four year education is a good thing and many/most people should do it. I am very glad I did it and I had a great experience, even though I ended up "not using it". What I don't agree with necessarily is pursuing an expensive prestigious school and accumulating a ton of debt. I graduated with about $8k in debt.

That is what is so great about U.S.A. It was your decision to determine what your needs where, not the government.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Graduated a year early and lived with minimal debt. Car has 1200 left on it no credit card usage other than cell phone payment and mortgage but thats a different debt. I'm happy with the life choices that has lead to this outcome and glad I didn't pursue normal college. I'd still be a small time worker with only a couple years under my belt of actual work had I.

Sberry

Occupation
farmer electrician
Ok,,, on one hand if I would have listened to my mothger, could have been slaving under a hot secretary all those years,,, the other side of the scale,,, who would have thought rolling dope would have been a legitimate career path.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
It would do a lot of good to require a philosophy class or two to graduate high school. A big part of what people traditionally got out of college is the ability to consider different ideas and opinions and think their way through them. This was done in the course of accumulating knowledge in a particular field or two, which wasn't accessible otherwise before the internet. Nowadays much of that information is available everywhere. It's not all quality info, but there's enough quality info accessible for free that you don't need access to a college library to learn a helluva lot. But you can't learn how to have a good-faith discussion with someone, or to distinguish reliable sources from bad ones, if you're sitting by yourself at home in front of a screen. Or at least it's a lot harder. So there should be more emphasis on this earlier on.

It would do a lot of good to require a philosophy class or two to graduate high school. A big part of what people traditionally got out of college is the ability to consider different ideas and opinions and think their way through them. This was done in the course of accumulating knowledge in a particular field or two, which wasn't accessible otherwise before the internet. Nowadays much of that information is available everywhere. It's not all quality info, but there's enough quality info accessible for free that you don't need access to a college library to learn a helluva lot. But you can't learn how to have a good-faith discussion with someone, or to distinguish reliable sources from bad ones, if you're sitting by yourself at home in front of a screen. Or at least it's a lot harder. So there should be more emphasis on this earlier on.
The critical thinking class I took in college was probably my favorite and most valuable.

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
It has been said that a 4-year history degree prepares you for a career at Kroger stocking shelves.
Substitute Poly-Sci, Socio as required.

LOL, my brother's degree is in history (1969), the Kroger manager he worked for while in college told him to forget teaching history, that within a year he would be produce manager, then go to Kroger school, have his own store, and go as far up the corporate ladder that he wanted.

Brother opted for teaching - lasted 2 or 3 years till he saw he could make more as a wedding photographer (days BEFORE digital cameras, digital cameras closed down the wedding photog business.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
LOL, my brother's degree is in history (1969), the Kroger manager he worked for while in college told him to forget teaching history, that within a year he would be produce manager, then go to Kroger school, have his own store, and go as far up the corporate ladder that he wanted.

Brother opted for teaching - lasted 2 or 3 years till he saw he could make more as a wedding photographer (days BEFORE digital cameras, digital cameras closed down the wedding photog business.
re: wedding photogs and digital cameras-- We had a photog that showed up at work several times-- mostly group photos and publicity-type things. I think she was using digital 35mm-shaped cameras-- she always looked at the back of the camera after a shot to verify framing/etc.
Much of the work of a wedding photog is not taking a picture-- it's arranging for the 'artsy' shots-- in the meadow, on the dock at the lake, etc. The train of the lady's gown gracefully placed just so.
If a photog is any good, it's these shots that will make their career. Not the snapshots that everyone can take.
One thing I hate about phone photogs-- they always take the pictures in 'portrait' position! Very few take 'landscape' photos. Shows up in newscasts when half the action is out-of-frame--