Location of service disconnecting means

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyi

Re: Location of service disconnecting means

No, many places down here have inside mains. Some locality might require it though. Different areas here seem fond of making all sorts of local amendments...

bennie

Esteemed Member

I have a meter/main outdoors, but it is padlocked. I don't want anyone turning it off and burglarizing my home or worse.

In my opinion, the main switch(s) shall be accessible to the occupant, no one else.

I do not live in Florida. I hope no jurisdiction ever requires a power dump switch outside.

[ March 12, 2004, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: bennie ]

tonyi

Your local fire company probably has a different opinion about this access :D

Being able to shutdown a building from the outside has some real safety advantages for the firemen.

If a burglar wanted to shut a place down, why wouldn't they just pull the meter? An inside breaker won't help that much.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by ryan_618:
In Utah they are all outside, except in commercial buildings.
Well what the heck are they doing out there? :D

Your local fire company probably has a different opinion about this access
I do not know why they would, many FDs call in the POCO to kill services.

There is only one town I know of that still (as of 1985) requires outside disconnect ability for all occupancies.

We would put a shunt trip main breaker inside with a trip button in a Knox box outside.

The the few outside service disconnects around here will be locked on, a padlock will not slow any FD I have seen. ;)

[ March 12, 2004, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

i have worked in Florida since 1979 and have never found any area that requires a disc.outside.They do have some strange local addendums but this is one I have never heard of.

tonyi

I wouldn't want the fire company waiting around 1/2 hour or more for the poco to show up while the place burns to the ground. In some rural areas, it could take a real long time for a crew to show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.