Location of GFI protection of Bathroom receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vmadden

Wouldn't it be more cost effective just to install the GFCI's he wants? Sometimes winning the battle costs us the war.

You're right, he's wrong, but you will lose in the end.

In most cases I will and I do agree with you. But this is not just one time, it happens over and over different inspectors wanting different things. And when an inspection fails I have to not only reschedule but wait for an inspector for up to 4 hours, and I cant plan anything for that day because I have to call the inspector in the morning to find out what his schedule is.

Vmadden

Here's the OP:

I may have erred in doing so but I assumed this was new construction and that he roughed in his GFCI's as described and now the inspector comes for final and he doesn't want to have to walk to another floor to reset a tripped GFCI. Let's see if OP comes back and clarifies...

So you're saying just change the receptacles to all GFCI's (in the bathrooms)? Makes sense.
And he could change them to line side connected if he does that.

This is a full gut renovation. The actual GFI receptacle was located in the basement bathroom of a 2 story house. That receptacle was protecting bathrooms on 1st and 2nd floor. I'm not really sure if his issue is that he doesn't want to walk downstairs to reset a breaker or if he is protecting the homeowner who may have to reset it.

That's my life as a contractor. It's the luck of the draw on which inspector you get, when they show up, whether they had a bad commute, or a fight with their spouse, or they picked that week to give up cigarettes.

There are great inspectors, and some really bad ones. And the inspection process, waiting around for them to show up is aggravating, but I just allow for it in my quotes. When residential folks ask why a $250 permit has an additional $300 in costs, that's what I explain.

My sympathies to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.