load calculation for 200 amp service feeding two main breaker panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
you have a point there. i think it may be a lot of $$ to get a 2nd service drop? anyone know?
I haven't followed this thread to know all the nuances, but from what I gathered, your current service is too small for the calculated load. The POCO may have to upgrade your drop as it is, and they will likely only run one drop to your building for what you need. From there you can run service entrance to one or two meters per POCO and AHJ blessing.

As far as costs, you'll have to do your due diligence... or farm it out.

kwired

Electron manager
you have a point there. i think it may be a lot of $$ to get a 2nd service drop? anyone know?

POCO usually will feed two risers with just one drop and that drop will be whatever size they deem suitable, and likely will be smaller conductor then what you would run if you were doing it. They likely don't go much over 2/0 ACSR, if needed they will parallel 2/0 sometimes though.

cubgirl

i met with electrician today. i said if these issues weren't resolved, i was going to take my calculations to the inspectors and the POCO.

we haggled a bit and in the end, he did his own load calculation. he's going to rip everything out and install 400A service with 2 225A branches. panels will be replaced (but not the 200A already there). new wires, everything.

and i'm going to be right there, taking notes. :happyyes:

thank you for all your help. i only had days to come up to speed.
cub

cubgirl

I haven't followed this thread to know all the nuances, but from what I gathered, your current service is too small for the calculated load. The POCO may have to upgrade your drop as it is, and they will likely only run one drop to your building for what you need. From there you can run service entrance to one or two meters per POCO and AHJ blessing.

As far as costs, you'll have to do your due diligence... or farm it out.

you are exactly right. the company that did this is going to replace everything.

thanks for helping!
cub

donaldelectrician

i met with electrician today. i said if these issues weren't resolved, i was going to take my calculations to the inspectors and the POCO.

we haggled a bit and in the end, he did his own load calculation. he's going to rip everything out and install 400A service with 2 225A branches. panels will be replaced (but not the 200A already there). new wires, everything.

and i'm going to be right there, taking notes. :happyyes:

thank you for all your help. i only had days to come up to speed.
cub

WOW - cubgirl - A Load Calc goes the distance in this Biz . Up to SPEED .

Truth be told , ya probably will have run fine anyway , there is a lot of slack built in to Load Calc at that level .

He sounds like he is taking care of BIZ with you in Mind . I have to respect that .

Don

cubgirl

Hi Don,

yes, i told the electrician that if he would have given me 125A in each unit (like i asked), i would've never investigated and done my own load calcs.

i HAD to have 125A upstairs because of the 13.7kW H2O heater. i could see a tenant washing clothes (12A), running the DW (10A), baking a pizza in the convection oven (12.5A) and taking a shower all at same time, causing the H2O heater to fire up both elements (57A): (12 + 10 + 12.5 + 57 = 91.5A). add in lights, TV, a router, computer and a ceiling fan... well, you get the picture. it could be > 100A up there.

after spending 4K on an upgrade & not being able to hook up my brand new H2O heater without worry, i had no choice other than go after these guys. 2 things were lucky for me: 1) i haven't paid them one cent yet and 2) i hired a solvent company concerned about reputation.

when the electrician came back with his load calcs, he seemed contrite & said he learned a lot from this. it was an expensive lesson: 2 hours doing load calculations prevents major rework.

if i would have gone to the inspection dept & POCO, i would've asked them why they waived the required load sheets on the job?? most customers aren't engineers and don't have the wherewithal to do what i did in 5 days time. the NEC & load calcs are difficult & the inspectors & POCO should be confirming jobs are done correctly. but that's another battle...

this forum helped me a LOT coming up to speed quickly.

thanks y'all!
cub

donaldelectrician

Hi Don,

yes, i told the electrician that if he would have given me 125A in each unit (like i asked), i would've never investigated and done my own load calcs.

i HAD to have 125A upstairs because of the 13.7kW H2O heater. i could see a tenant washing clothes (12A), running the DW (10A), baking a pizza in the convection oven (12.5A) and taking a shower all at same time, causing the H2O heater to fire up both elements (57A): (12 + 10 + 12.5 + 57 = 91.5A). add in lights, TV, a router, computer and a ceiling fan... well, you get the picture. it could be > 100A up there.

after spending 4K on an upgrade & not being able to hook up my brand new H2O heater without worry, i had no choice other than go after these guys. 2 things were lucky for me: 1) i haven't paid them one cent yet and 2) i hired a solvent company concerned about reputation.

when the electrician came back with his load calcs, he seemed contrite & said he learned a lot from this. it was an expensive lesson: 2 hours doing load calculations prevents major rework.

if i would have gone to the inspection dept & POCO, i would've asked them why they waived the required load sheets on the job?? most customers aren't engineers and don't have the wherewithal to do what i did in 5 days time. the NEC & load calcs are difficult & the inspectors & POCO should be confirming jobs are done correctly. but that's another battle...

this forum helped me a LOT coming up to speed quickly.

thanks y'all!
cub

Cubgirl - Great Forum -

you did the right thing , and they were off .

I like Gas on demand Water Heaters , I had one in New Orleans in the early 70's .

There were 6 of us living in a flat in the French Quatrer ,

Never a cold shower .

A lot of people can save big on there service and electric bill with one .

What do you do cubgirl ? Sparky Chick ?

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.