Lighting over patient care areas

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinchenzo

I work for a hospital and was asked by my boss the other day to install some recessed lights over the patient care area in the Cardiac Cathorization Lab. The lights have open lamps (PAR30 floods). I thought I read somewhere that lights over a patient care area had to be enclosed. According to the staff there is not anesthesia administered in this area except in emergencies (very rare). Does anyone know of any code written to address this issue? :confused:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: Lighting over patient care areas

(B) Above Hazardous (Classified) Anesthetizing Locations.

(2) Equipment Enclosure. Installed equipment that may produce arcs, sparks, or particles of hot metal, such as lamps and lampholders for fixed lighting, cutouts, switches, generators, motors, or other equipment having make-and-break or sliding contacts, shall be of the totally enclosed type or be constructed so as to prevent escape of sparks or hot metal particles.

Did you check NPFA 99?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

This is more of a "Patient Protection" and "Infection Control" issue than an NEC issue.

AIA, JCAHO, CDC, MMWR, and HICPAC, will have information.

One major problem besides the exploding lamp concern is the A/C balancing (positive pressure) in the room being changed if these fixtures are not sealed and allow air to flow thru them.

Roger

vinchenzo

Thanks for your input guys. During my research I also ended up at Article 517.61 but was unsure as to whether I was heading in the right direction. It now appears as though I was. At this point it looks as though the fixtures do in fact need to be enclosed.

I also intend on checking NFPA 99 for further information as you had suggested (it seems to have disappeared from the shelf at work).

Your advise on checking the other various codes and standards will also be on my 'to do list'. I never thought about the A/C factor before. This struck me as very interesting.

Thank you both so much!

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

It is my understanding that flammable anesthesia is no longer used (or used very rarely). If this is true, parts (A) or (B) of 517.61 would probably not apply.

vinchenzo

I found out the same thing today. Not an easy subject is it? I'm looking forward to getting into the resources Roger suggested soon. Still haven't tracked down the hospital's NFPA 99 yet. Until then I continue to appreciate the help you all have offered so far. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.