Lighting fixure reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
I buy a lot of stuff online and most of the items that I buy have customer reviews listed with the item description. Is there a website that has customer reviews on commercial light fixtures and other commercial electrical devices?
I am an electrician at a technical college and we just spent about $10,000 for some light fixtures that were junk, to put it mildly. If I had been able to read some reviews from other electricians I could have specified a different fixture. Also, I could now post a review that may keep someone else from making the same mistake. Thoughts, anyone.
Maybe Mike could set it up as part of the forum.

Electric-Light

I buy a lot of stuff online and most of the items that I buy have customer reviews listed with the item description. Is there a website that has customer reviews on commercial light fixtures and other commercial electrical devices?

In my opinion, I think such a site would be financially unsustainable. There are computer component websites and forums that would purchase or receive samples from supplier/manufacturer and conduct thorough test on them making it hard for manufacturers to BS.

Tom's Hardware for example tested many computer power supplies testing to see if they provide regulations within specs pushing output to the limit while varying the input voltage between the extremes of rating. Many are rated 90-264v (Japan 100v -10%, EU/ASIA 240v +10%). Some deviated from specs. Some let out the magic smoke.

Having a large target audience base, the website brings in enough revenue to support it.

NLPIP did testing on electronic ballasts, but viewer base is much much limited, so the extent of testing is narrower and they no longer do it.
http://www.lrc.rpi.edu/programs/nlpip/eballast/index.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.