Lighting Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedystevie

I am interested in turning my lighting design knowledge up a notch. Has anyone come across any good knowledge bases online, any good book references.

Most of the info I am looking for right now is for high-end residential and also library work.

Thanks for any input, Steve

Paul B

Re: Lighting Design

There are many good architectural books out there on this subject. Some of the books have just sections on it. I will try to locate a name and post latter.

RobbieD

Check out this site. They have allot of books on lighting design.

www.iesna.org

Also I have found the program Visual Basic from Lithonia helpful in the past. They have a free version, 30 days I think, you can make a room and mount fixtures. It shows you the light levels. The only thing is you have to use their fixtures for the program unless you have the light info file for different fixtures. They have a version you can buy and you can do allot of things with it.

www.lithonia.com

I used these on the last course I did.

Hope this helps.

spsnyder

I agree that Lithonia's Visual is an economical way to do lighting Calcs. I've used AGI and Lumen Micro at my last job and they are top notch. They are also very expensive. At this job I do less lighting design and use Lithonia's Visual Pro. It's good for what we do here, and the price is right (~200). You can get the Visual basic for free if you want to try a scaled down version of the Visual Pro. Best of luck.

bdarnell

Occupation
Retired Engineer

Originally posted by spsnyder:
I agree that Lithonia's Visual is an economical way to do lighting Calcs.
Plus, as Robbie indicated above, if you can get the IES files from any other manufacturer, you can bring them into Visual. Most all of the large ones, Cooper, Hubbell, etc. have downloadable IES files on their web sites. I've used Visual Pro over 10 years and wouldn't think of switching.

Oh, and you can export your layouts and photometrics to AutoCAD also. Great for those design/build jobs! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.