Light Swith Locations????

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddawg-

Is there a code that states were a light switch has to be in reference to the entrance of a room? I have a contractor telling me that I mounted it too far away and is looking for a change order. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

charlie

Re: Light Swith Locations????

Generally speaking, there are no requirements for the location of light switches. If you wanted to put the down stairs switches in the upstairs bedroom, you can because it is a design issue. There are exceptions to my general statement like stairways. :D

drmoody

404.8(A) states that all switches must be installed in a readily accessible location. I think it?s up to the designer.

Brian

B

bthielen

In my experience, limited as it is, I have tried to use a single rule of thumb. I located my switches and used 3-way and 4-way circuits when needed so that I can walk anywhere in my home, never in the dark, and always be able to extinguish the lights when I leave the area. In other words, if one has to walk into a dark room to reach the switch or walk out of a dark room after extinguishing the lights, the switch(es) are poorly located.

Bob

russ

210.70 doesn't say you have to put the switch in within so many inches of a doorway.
I guess the code makers figure you will put it in a practical location. (silly code makers :D )

210.70(A)(1) does say in every habitable room and bathroom.
I take that to mean the light and the switch have to be in the room.
A lot of people (or maybe it's only a few) here, think the switch can be anywhere in the house.

Exception NO.2 mentions other types of controls being located in customary wall switch locations. I guess, that one of those ones, that if the inspector says it's not a customary location he could make you move it.

Put that one up on the shelve with 110.12, as being arbitrary

[ March 04, 2004, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: russ ]

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Russ,
210.70 only requires that the "wall switch-controlled lighting outlet" be in the room. The code does not specify where the switch that controls the lighting outlet is to be located.
Don

websparky

Hi Russ,

I would imagine an "untrained person" could misinterpreted the code....but then, the code isn't written for "untrained persons"!

90.1(C) Intention. This Code is not intended as a design specification or an instruction manual for untrained persons.

russ

Don:

I know that's how most people, maybe everybody else believes it should be interpreted.

210.70(A)(1) does put that little - between wall switch and controlled lighting, for some kind of effect. I think it's there to show you the switch is one of two things required in the room.

I tired of finding bathroom switches, out side in the hall, switches behind door swings, and closet switches ten feet away from the closet, and other odd switch locations.
I've amended our city codes so the electricians don't have to guess where they can put them.
I spell it out in black and white, it's not really any harder, and the home owners are always assured a reasonable location.

[ March 04, 2004, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: russ ]

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

210 70 a ; says a hall way,what constitutes a hallway?not in 100 .We have an issue with this.Some ares as small as 3 ft by 5 ft open on the long end into the family room.These entered the bedroom so the ahj says it`s a hallway.By entering into other rooms so put a light there.9 recessed cans in the family room but add a light there.
210.70 c ;At each floor level or at the landing if there is an entry.But we do a model that has a large bonus room.stairs to bonus room lead into an area around 8 ft. X 6 ft. then it steps up 2 steps to the actual bonus room.The 3 way has always been at the top of the stair.The AHJ says it has to be in the actual room a person would be going to.So we added a 4 way.BY THE WAY IT HAS NOT BEEN A GOOD WEEK $#*@&% :D

websparky

Hi Wayne,

Ask the inspector if he has read his IRC lately!
HABITABLE SPACE. A space in a building for living, sleeping, eating or cooking. Bathrooms, toilet rooms, closets, halls, storage or utility spaces and similar areas are not considered habitable spaces.

bennie

Esteemed Member

I always placed switches near the door to make it possible to easily turn on the light without going in the dark room.

Kids roller skates can kill you.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Russ,
I tired of finding bathroom switches, out side in the hall,
I believe that is a requirement of the Canadian Electrical Code. (Ed please correct me if I'm wrong about this)
Don

Ed MacLaren

I believe that is a requirement of the Canadian Electrical Code.
Not exactly.
The relevant rule states- "Switches shall not be located within reach of a person in a shower or bathtub."

This could result in the switch being outside the door in some cases, due to bathroom layout.

Ed

russ

Don and ED:

I hear what you are saying, but if this is a new building, it should be designed to have things installed according to code.
In the case of rehabs there is always room for negotiation

racraft

Massachusetts requires, or at least they used to require, that bathroom switches be located outside the bathroom.

russ

I believe you, but unless the tub or shower area was right up against the door jamb, I can't for the life of me think why they would require that.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Russ,
In my opinion the code wording only requires that the switched outlet be in the room. The switch can be anywhere. The code doesn't even require the switch to be in the same building. Of couse it is a good practice to have the switch at the room entrance and within the room, but I just don't think that the NEC requires this. This is and should be a design issue, not a code issue.
Don

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by russ:
I tired of finding bathroom switches, out side in the hall, switches behind door swings, and closet switches ten feet away from the closet, and other odd switch locations.
I've amended our city codes so the electricians don't have to guess where they can put them.
I spell it out in black and white, it's not really any harder, and the home owners are always assured a reasonable location.
Russ what is the problem with a bathroom switch in the hallway.

I have done that to avoid having a switch to close to the shower.

I will tell you it scares :eek: me when one person starts amending the code that has been carefully crafted by committee over many years.

I am glad no one in this state has that kind of power, we do have amendments, not made by a single person, but again by committee.

russ

The only problem I see in the bath room switch being outside the room is inconvenience.
The light can be shut off by anyone while your in there. You may decide to use the toilet or just get out of the shower and maybe want to turn on the fan, and your daughter has just come home with five friends. Maybe it,s really a design issue more than safety.
I could be wrong, trying to insure the people buying houses here, get a quality installation.
Maybe I've overstepped my boundaries
I'm sure we all agree the code is perfect the way it is, and should not be adjusted or changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.