Light pole hand hole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyote

I have a friend in the landscaping business his boy broke a piece of nonmetallic
sealtite that is coming up from underground and is 90ed into the hand hole cover. This is feeding a pond pump. Have not been on site yet but my question is can a knockout be pulled in the cover, he wants to have it repaired but not sure the install was correct.

Thanks
David

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
the cover is to access the wiring inside the pole. Can you punch a hole in the side of the pole and hit it?
Both are not good solutions, the handhole entry being the worst of the two

Coyote

I have a friend in the landscaping business his boy broke a piece of nonmetallic
sealtite that is coming up from underground and is 90ed into the hand hole cover. This is feeding a pond pump. Have not been on site yet but my question is can a knockout be pulled in the cover, he wants to have it repaired but not sure the install was correct.

Thanks
David
After reading my post I see that I did not make my self clear.
The access cover has a knock out pulled in it and it runs underground via flex to a pond pump. I am not sure about the install. Do not know yet if there was a permit pulled for this.Repair of the damage is straight forward but do not want to leave as is if not to code. I would have used schedule 80 pvc and pulled a knockout in the pole rather than the cover.

hurk27

After reading my post I see that I did not make my self clear.
The access cover has a knock out pulled in it and it runs underground via flex to a pond pump. I am not sure about the install. Do not know yet if there was a permit pulled for this.Repair of the damage is straight forward but do not want to leave as is if not to code. I would have used schedule 80 pvc and pulled a knockout in the pole rather than the cover.

I dont know of anything in the NEC that wouldn't allow it if the wiring method to the cover is flexible, I have handy box covers that come with a 1/2" K/O which I have seen romex run out of, but a wiring method that wouldn't allow the cover to be removed without the removal of the wiring method I would say would be.

Here is about the closest I can find:
314.22 Exposed Surface Extensions.
Surface extensions from a flush-mounted box shall be made by mounting and mechanically securing an extension ring over the flush box. Equipment grounding and bonding shall be in accordance with Article 250.
Exception: A surface extension shall be permitted to be made from the cover of a flush-mounted box where the cover is designed so it is unlikely to fall off or be removed if its securing means becomes loose. The wiring method shall be flexible for a length sufficient to permit removal of the cover and provide access to the box interior, and arranged so that any bonding or grounding continuity is independent of the connection between the box and cover.

Not somthing I would do like this, but I have run into it.

Last edited:

raider1

Staff member
Also take a look at 410.30(B)(2) (2008 NEC)

Where raceway risers or cable is not installed within the pole, a threaded fitting or nipple shall be brazed, welded, or attached to the pole opposite the handhole for the supply connection.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.