level classification of Fire Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelli

Hello! I am designing a Fire Station and trying to determine whether or not it is considered Level 1 or 2 in relation the the ATS placement. Do I need to separate it from the normal power? Thanks!

luckylerado

From NFPA 110 2013

"4.4.1* Level 1 systems shall be installed where failure of the
equipment to perform could result in loss of human life or
seriousinjuries.
4.4.2* Level 2 systems shall be installed where failure of the
EPSS to perform is less critical to human life and safety."

kelli

I have read those and still feel like it is sort of a grey area. I am currently reading the NEC to see if I can get clarification. Even though they are able to get out of the building, if their 911 equipment fails, others might die. No?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I believe emergency egress lighting is level 1. So unless you have battery backup lights, you probably have a level 1.
Is the main electrical service over 1000 amps at 480V?

kelli

It is 120/208 3p with a 600a main service. It is the same Firestation I was asking about in which they want the entire station on the Generator. I did find the battery back-up Egress Lighting issue yesterday and found the part in the NEC that I was thinking about in which (unfortunately I don't have access to Electronic version of NEC), under the COPS area of 708.1 it is dependent on whether or not it is going to be considered a Critical Facility for Homeland Security, which actually opens up a whole other can of worms in which I have to design with all metal conduit and I don't know what all else. Is that how you understand it?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I have read those and still feel like it is sort of a grey area. I am currently reading the NEC to see if I can get clarification. Even though they are able to get out of the building, if their 911 equipment fails, others might die. No?

If they have a 911 center it is likely that you are dealing with a COPS (article 708) installation.
If this is not a COPS installation, then 'Life Safety' addresses the occupants of this facility only, such as the egress lighting previously mentioned by Steve66.

Status
Not open for further replies.