LED drivers in closet/disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaelectric

I have a dwelling basement finish that has a lot of LED fixtures. We have a couple of AFCI protected branch circuits that go to a series of dimmers in six locations through out the basement. The six loads from the dimmers go to a closet where all of the drivers are located. As well as the low voltage wires going to the actual LED's.

I have an inspector telling me that there needs to be lockouts on the AFCI breakers because they are not in sight of the driver closet. I don't think they make a lockout like that for a GE AFCI breaker. Just two poles like for an appliance.

I can't seem to find a code reference that would require that. This inspector is one of the do all type. Framing, mechanical, electrical everything. I have not been back to the job to see the actual correction notice. So I'm not sure if he cited a code reference or not.

I'm going there in the morning but just wanted to see if I could get some input from this forum.

Thanks.

MD84

I am not aware of any requirement.

He seems to be looking for a disconnect and calling the breaker the disconnect. Since it is not in sight he wants it lockable. Even so the means of locking should remain on the disconnect. I do not really consider a breaker a means of disconnect unless it is within sight anyway. I assume this is his logic although it is a moot point seeing as none of it is required.

The only thing that is remotely close would be 430.130(G)(1) however dwellings are exempted.

Perhaps if it is easier to satisfy the inspector than fight it you could install some quick disconnects on the line side of each ballast.

cpinetree

I have a dwelling basement finish that has a lot of LED fixtures. We have a couple of AFCI protected branch circuits that go to a series of dimmers in six locations through out the basement. The six loads from the dimmers go to a closet where all of the drivers are located. As well as the low voltage wires going to the actual LED's.

I have an inspector telling me that there needs to be lockouts on the AFCI breakers because they are not in sight of the driver closet. I don't think they make a lockout like that for a GE AFCI breaker. Just two poles like for an appliance.

I can't seem to find a code reference that would require that. This inspector is one of the do all type. Framing, mechanical, electrical everything. I have not been back to the job to see the actual correction notice. So I'm not sure if he cited a code reference or not.

I'm going there in the morning but just wanted to see if I could get some input from this forum.

Thanks.

If a breaker lockout will work it appears that the THP100 will fit an AFCI breaker, it isn't a great fit though (I just tried it in our shop)
A call to the GE rep may confirm that it is the correct part. If not I have to believe that they are manufacturing something that will work.

gaelectric

My salesman got me a couple of THL 103 breaker locks. Which will work to lock it. Just does not stay in place. I'll call and ask about getting the THP100.

I'm still going to have him tell me where he found it in the code book though.

Thanks

JFletcher

Probably way too simple a solution, but would it be possible to put one of those small m/f disconnect plugs (like you'd see in a fluorescent light) in a j-box that breaks the circuit feeding the drivers?

eta: looked it up, I got (410.130)(G)(1), but it doesnt apply to LED luminaires, at least on the 08 cycle. see exception #3 tho.

deta: 410.130(g)(1) doesnt apply to dwellings (again, 2008 ref)

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

Thanks.

well, you have to have a disconnecting means in sight or within 50' of the equipment.

how about putting a lowly switch in the closet, for each circuit you need to
be able to disconnect? a 20 amp switch in a box?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
And yet we have another inspector playing code maker and dictator.

Ding ding ding

What do what do we have for the unlucky contractor. :eek:hmy:

a correction notice and a unpaid return to the site plus delay charges accessed by the GC.:rant:

gaelectric

410 Part XIII That one looks like it's for control of electric discharge lighting systems of more than 1000 volts. 410.140 B says equipment exceeding 1000 volts shall not be installed in a dwelling.

Went to the job today and was told there was no correction notice to read. He had told the GC there were too many items and the inspection was terminated. So nothing was written down, all verbal. Awesome.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Code reference?

it was a seat of the pants reference.

a motor needs a disconnecting means described like that,
and a disconnect is a disconnect.

i just looked at it as replacing a 4s blank cover with a
raised industrial cover, with a couple switches on it,
and calling it a day.

however, based on the subsequent post of the OP, it
seems the inspector has made a chew toy out of him.
it appears he is beyond internet aid at this point.

:weeping:

gaelectric

[QUOTE

however, based on the subsequent post of the OP, it
seems the inspector has made a chew toy out of him.
it appears he is beyond internet aid at this point.

:weeping:[/QUOTE]

LOL. No it's not a big thing. Just get tired of inspectors making stuff up. I'm going to swing by tomorrow before he gets there again and try to make a couple of the THP 100 lockout parts work that were mentioned by cpinetree earlier. The area where these drivers are is pretty small. Hard enough just to get them hooked up. Installing six disconnect switches in this area would be highly unlikely.

cad99

A certain inspector in my area. I always put a lockable panel cover on for just for this reason.

Living the dream one nightmare at a time

gaelectric

The breaker lockouts worked fairly well. . Inspector came . Told the GC, "yep that'll work" and signed it off. End of story. Never did get a code reference in writing. Had not worked in that city for over ten years. Probably will not again anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.