Led Driver getting very hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

michalspike

I'm trying to figure it out why led drivers getting so hot.
We didn't exceed wattage on it. I have 2 rolls of tape led light (60W per roll on 200W) transformer. And this getting very hot.
I checked temperature and after 2 hours working reach 165F. Place is not well ventilated but even opening door didn't help.
Did anybody have that issue before?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I'm trying to figure it out why led drivers getting so hot.
We didn't exceed wattage on it. I have 2 rolls of tape led light (60W per roll on 200W) transformer. And this getting very hot.
I checked temperature and after 2 hours working reach 165F. Place is not well ventilated but even opening door didn't help.
Did anybody have that issue before?

What part is getting hot? If the transformer is getting hot, that is not entirely unexpected if the LED driver load is very non-linear producing lots of harmonics. With a harmonic rich spectrum 120W on a 200W transformer is a pretty heavy load.
If the LED driver is trying to draw DC (not a balanced load circuit) then that can also cause the transformer to overheat.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
All transformer is getting hot.
Wires for now looks fine. I'm using Magnitude Lighting 24VDC.

I think that you are just overloading the transformer with the non-linear load of the LEDs. Also do not forget that at rated load some transformers really do get very hot and that is normal.
Landscape lighting vendors tend to recommend that you size the transformer for the incandescent lights that the LEDs are replacing rather than just adding up the LED wattages. That gives you very conservative operation and also allows for somebody to replace LED unit with incandescent unit without messing up the system.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Magnetude don't make a "driver" for 200W, so you must be referring to the transformer. It's an outdoor rated transformer that puts out 24VAC.

Input leads are 18 AWG. Output leads are 12 AWG. Lead insulation is 105oc. The transformer uses a class B 130°c insulation system. The Enclosure temperature will not exceed 70°c @ 40°c ambient.

70C is 158F, you are going to feel that as being "very" hot to the touch, yet that is normal. But being designed as an outdoor transformer might mean that it is INTENDED to be used outdoors, with complete ventilation. If you put it inside of another box, it might cook itself.

Also, are you SURE that your LED strings require 24VAC? A lot of them expect 120V AC, or 24VDC. Do you have a name and spec on the strings?

michalspike

no I don't have a name of strings. But they are 24VDC. We used them a lot and never got to that issue.
Is Lutron Grafik Eye might cost that? This is the transformer I used
M100L24DC-AR-e1440584582949.jpg

cowboyjwc

Staff member
LED drivers tend to get hot, that's why if you use them in parking lots and what not, the only real maintenance issue is to keep the heat sinks clean and clear.

michalspike

I read the spec sheet and the installation sheet for the tranny. The install sheet says "...The transformer must be installed in a well-ventilated area free from explosive gases and vapors. Proper operation requires for free flow of air."

https://www.magnitudeinc.com/products/led-magnetic-dc-drivers/m100w-24vdc-dimmable-led-driver/

Customer Service 714-312-5080

Did you know of any heat absorbing. We don't have a choice to put in somewhere else . This job was done by somebody else and we trying to fix it. Now somebodys problem become my problem

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Mount the unit with thermal grease to a large aluminum backing plate (several square feet). Worst case, also space the plate away from the wall to allow airflow.

Also, the LED driver (not just transformer, since it has a DC output) in your picture is only good for 100W. Is the unit you are actually using really rated for 200W?
Do not keep calling it a transformer, since the transformer is just a part of the assembly if it is the type pictured.

As for the Grafik Eye system, the driver states "Dimmable with any standard MLV TRIAC (Leading edge) dimmer switch"
Is the Grafik Eye output module you selected indeed a leading edge dimmer?

Last edited:

michalspike

Mount the unit with thermal grease to a large aluminum backing plate (several square feet). Worst case, also space the plate away from the wall to allow airflow.

Also, the LED driver (not just transformer, since it has a DC output) in your picture is only good for 100W. Is the unit you are actually using really rated for 200W?
Do not keep calling it a transformer, since the transformer is just a part of the assembly if it is the type pictured.
I used 200W. I found this picture only. I think this closet what they build for transformers/led drivers have about 6'' deep. i will measure it and get some more pictures.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
I used 200W. I found this picture only. I think this closet what they build for transformers/led drivers have about 6'' deep. i will measure it and get some more pictures.
A cabinet 6" deep is hardly free air flow. Even with a heat sink you will probably need to leave the door open or add a fan and vents to move air through the cabinet, not just around inside it.

And finally, with a specification like this "Thermal Class B130°c" it is going to get VERY hot at full load. Note the C, not F.

Status
Not open for further replies.